Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Chad2000k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koco35 View Post
Hey do yo have any lfs near you? They will probably sell the blood worms too.

I just know that the fish go nuts when i drop the cut up pieces of the cube in the tank... definitely cool to sit and watch
There is a place I want to check oit near my place, it's a small independent store, I've been out of town since Thurs so, I might be checking the store this week.
__________________

__________________
Chad H
5.5Gal Fresh ~ Top Fin 10 ~ 50 Watt Heater at 76F
3 Male Guppies and 1 Peppered Cory Catfish
Marimo Moss Ball ~ Anubias Nana ~ Echindorus Paniculatus
Chad2000k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Chad2000k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 114
I turned up the temperature when I got back the other day, now it's running about 78.

I did a water change that Sunday night and also this morning. I did the API test then and just now as well. Currently running a 7.4 PH level. Ammonia is still high but I think it has fallen since sunday from the chart's dark green 8.0 to a lighter green color of about 4.0. Nitrite has changed to 0.25ppm from 0 and Nitrate is at 5 to 10ppm from 0 as well. I think the extra warmth did help it out a little bit. I will do another test tomorrow to see if these levels stay consistent.
__________________

__________________
Chad H
5.5Gal Fresh ~ Top Fin 10 ~ 50 Watt Heater at 76F
3 Male Guppies and 1 Peppered Cory Catfish
Marimo Moss Ball ~ Anubias Nana ~ Echindorus Paniculatus
Chad2000k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Koco35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad2000k View Post
I turned up the temperature when I got back the other day, now it's running about 78.

I did a water change that Sunday night and also this morning. I did the API test then and just now as well. Currently running a 7.4 PH level. Ammonia is still high but I think it has fallen since sunday from the chart's dark green 8.0 to a lighter green color of about 4.0. Nitrite has changed to 0.25ppm from 0 and Nitrate is at 5 to 10ppm from 0 as well. I think the extra warmth did help it out a little bit. I will do another test tomorrow to see if these levels stay consistent.
Hey Sorry I havent posted in a while. I got swamped at work

How often are you feeding your fish...and how much?

The reason I ask is because I wonder if that may be contributing to your ammonia levels being high for so long.
__________________
I will keep trying even when I fail. Failure is not an option!
Koco35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Chad2000k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koco35 View Post

Hey Sorry I havent posted in a while. I got swamped at work

How often are you feeding your fish...and how much?

The reason I ask is because I wonder if that may be contributing to your ammonia levels being high for so long.
I understand, no worries. We feed about a pinch of food morning and night. I change the water every other day and the ammonia is really low after a water change.
__________________
Chad H
5.5Gal Fresh ~ Top Fin 10 ~ 50 Watt Heater at 76F
3 Male Guppies and 1 Peppered Cory Catfish
Marimo Moss Ball ~ Anubias Nana ~ Echindorus Paniculatus
Chad2000k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Koco35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad2000k View Post
I understand, no worries. We feed about a pinch of food morning and night. I change the water every other day and the ammonia is really low after a water change.
One of the things i was told when my ammonia levels was high was that i am likely feeding my fish too much.

I have been feeding both tanks every other day just once.

It has helped keep the levels down.

Just a thought...although i love to watch them when they eat
__________________
I will keep trying even when I fail. Failure is not an option!
Koco35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:22 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Chad2000k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koco35 View Post

One of the things i was told when my ammonia levels was high was that i am likely feeding my fish too much.

I have been feeding both tanks every other day just once.

It has helped keep the levels down.

Just a thought...although i love to watch them when they eat
I was thinking about that and my girlfriend loves to watch them eat too and they start pecking at the heater and pump intake and the plants for food when it's relatively time to feed them lol, they know when. Just now tested the water, did the wc at 500 so about 5 hours passed. Ammonia is at 4ppm, Nitrite at 1ppm and Nitrate at 20ppm. Finally some good numbers, although high in some areas....
__________________
Chad H
5.5Gal Fresh ~ Top Fin 10 ~ 50 Watt Heater at 76F
3 Male Guppies and 1 Peppered Cory Catfish
Marimo Moss Ball ~ Anubias Nana ~ Echindorus Paniculatus
Chad2000k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:30 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Koco35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad2000k View Post
I was thinking about that and my girlfriend loves to watch them eat too and they start pecking at the heater and pump intake and the plants for food when it's relatively time to feed them lol, they know when. Just now tested the water, did the wc at 500 so about 5 hours passed. Ammonia is at 4ppm, Nitrite at 1ppm and Nitrate at 20ppm. Finally some good numbers, although high in some areas....
Definitely something to think about.

My ammonia levels have been much better since i reduced the feedings to once a day every other day.
__________________
I will keep trying even when I fail. Failure is not an option!
Koco35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:35 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 25
I'm a newbie so take what I say with a grain of salt...
I did fish-in cycle with guppies also. Basically I didn't want to stare at an empty tank for two months so I chose this route. I was a SLAVE to water changes though. The highest my ammonia ever read was .5. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but I think a level of 4 ammonia could have some negative effects on your fish. I think it usually shows up a few weeks down the road. Anyhow. I'd probably up the water changes to two 50% a day. Or more if necessary. I also just fed them the tiniest pinch of food once a day when cycling. They didn't suffer for it. The cycling took a full 6 weeks.
Good luck! I sure do enjoy watching the guppies. They're both pretty and entertaining. =)
__________________
Malisa_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Chad2000k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malisa_ View Post
I'm a newbie so take what I say with a grain of salt...
I did fish-in cycle with guppies also. Basically I didn't want to stare at an empty tank for two months so I chose this route. I was a SLAVE to water changes though. The highest my ammonia ever read was .5. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but I think a level of 4 ammonia could have some negative effects on your fish. I think it usually shows up a few weeks down the road. Anyhow. I'd probably up the water changes to two 50% a day. Or more if necessary. I also just fed them the tiniest pinch of food once a day when cycling. They didn't suffer for it. The cycling took a full 6 weeks.
Good luck! I sure do enjoy watching the guppies. They're both pretty and entertaining. =)
Thank you, with Nitrate and Nitrite up, the end of the cycle is getting close so it's a matter of patience and water changes. I am going to just the flakes every morning and see how that goes.
__________________
Chad H
5.5Gal Fresh ~ Top Fin 10 ~ 50 Watt Heater at 76F
3 Male Guppies and 1 Peppered Cory Catfish
Marimo Moss Ball ~ Anubias Nana ~ Echindorus Paniculatus
Chad2000k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Koco35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad2000k View Post
Thank you, with Nitrate and Nitrite up, the end of the cycle is getting close so it's a matter of patience and water changes. I am going to just the flakes every morning and see how that goes.
Careful with your water changes though.

Every day is too much stress for the fish.

Every other day is better as it gives them a day off from the stress!

Good luck and keep us posted
__________________

__________________
I will keep trying even when I fail. Failure is not an option!
Koco35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
changed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.