Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Back to this hobby and it's definitely changed.

I used to have a 10 Gal fresh water stocked with several neon tetras, a plec, and 2 Tiger Barbs. Also had 2 live plants and did a pwc of about 10% a week. That was about 10 years ago. My girlfriend got me a 5.5 Gal tank for Valentine's day this year and I was quite baffled because I mentioned getting my 10 Gal tank out of storage from my parents. Nevertheless I laid about 7lb of gravel and 2 fake plants and got a heater set to about 76. Runs on a top fin 10 with a black foam and then the carbon filter media. It's been a long time away from this so some of the lingo is either new or going to need to be refreshed in my mind. Long story short I've actually been reading through a lot of the posts on this site and it actually helped me so far but yet still left me in sort of a situation that I have several options with. I believe the cycle has completed and then took the water for testing at the store and did my own as well and all levels were normal. We picked out 3 guppies to our liking and everything has basically chasing our fins from there. Nitrite fired up to 1 to 3ppm and Ammonia went to about 3 to 6ppm, (everything else remained normal with a 7 ph roughly, 120 Alkalinity, soft 75 hardness, Nitrate at 0). I know that's not exactly specific but still a good idea that these ranges are a little high beyond comfort. I did a 15% water change, I know we started off overfeeding with a different kind of food than I'm used to, Tetra Crisps Color Enhance. We've cut back on the amount at twice a day. There was a cloudiness in the water, added some more "Quick Start" after another water change to the dechlorinated tap. This cleared up the water for a short term but was still high... After a few days I did another water change of about 30% or so. This time I added distilled water and changed the filter media and added more quick start. The next morning I checked the levels and it was still high so I added an Ammonia Tab to help detoxify the levels. Tested it after a few hours and Nitrite finally fell to 0 but Ammonia remains strong at that same about 3 to 6. I know sometimes the Ammonia tabs can give false readings on the tabs but I still have a cloudiness to the water and with the light off its got more of a green shade. This is basically caught up to what is happening right now. I've been running the light nightly for about 6 hours since I first started the tank 2 weeks ago. With the green cloudiness, its more of an algae boom which I think is a good thing in the direction of this tank in terms of progress but still a little bit of work to do. Therefore I've blacked out the tank for almost a full 24 hours and I will continue it until morning. I'm also going to buy some live plants tomorrow morning, I saw a moss ball as an option as well as several other plant options. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what's going on and causing the cloudiness with a high ammonia still. Thanks in advance and the guppies are still swimming strong in all this.

Marimo Moss Ball ~ Anubias Nana ~ Echindorus Paniculatus
Chad2000k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi Chad... it sounds like we have a similiar problem.

Aside from some ammonia absorber that you can put in your filter.. the best thing for high ammonia levels is water changes.

I was told to do them every other day until the levels come down.

Another thing that helped was removing all my decorations from the tank., while leaving the fish in of course and using a gravel siphon to remove all the junk that falls in and under the gravel.

After a couple of very thorough gravel cleanings I was able to get my ammonia levels where they should be.

Hope that helps

Old 02-27-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Helps a lot! Thank you! I will be doing a water change tomorrow and I'll test my tap water, i think that got the tank off on the wrong foot to begin with. Are you using any live plants?
Old 02-27-2013, 01:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Did you add an ammonia source to cycle the tank before you got fish? It sounds like your tank isn't finished cycling. If you were cycled you wouldn't see any ammonia or nitrites, only nitrates. So it seems like you are now in the middle of a fish-in cycle. There are some great articles on this site about fish in cycling, you should check them out. You're just going to have to keep testing and doing water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrites in check.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:05 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I havent added live plants because my freshwater tank is pretty far from natural sunlight which the plants would need to grow. I believe i read some where that some plants help with filtering out ammonia as well. I dont know much about that but it is worth doing some research on.

The water changes will also help with you cloudy water problem!
Old 02-27-2013, 01:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx View Post
Did you add an ammonia source to cycle the tank before you got fish? It sounds like your tank isn't finished cycling. If you were cycled you wouldn't see any ammonia or nitrites, only nitrates. So it seems like you are now in the middle of a fish-in cycle. There are some great articles on this site about fish in cycling, you should check them out. You're just going to have to keep testing and doing water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrites in check.
Thanks! The more I read up on this the more I'm leaning to what you're saying... Kinda figured a 5.5 gallon would've cycled quick.. I will read those articles on fresh eyes in the morning.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koco35 View Post
I havent added live plants because my freshwater tank is pretty far from natural sunlight which the plants would need to grow. I believe i read some where that some plants help with filtering out ammonia as well. I dont know much about that but it is worth doing some research on.

The water changes will also help with you cloudy water problem!
Ah I see, on a sunny day, the blinds open, the fish tank is well lit.. May try a plant when I do a water change.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would also suggest doing some research online for other solutions to try for lessening your ammonia problem. Please feel free to share if you find any thing interesting
Old 02-27-2013, 01:24 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Does the tank have any sort of lighting? If it has some sort of fluorescent bulb it can grow low light plants. If it uses a screw on incandescent tube type bulb, you can replace it with a cfl (compact fluorescent) bulb. Plants are wonderful additions to an aquarium, and they do help bring down toxin levels.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

So you guys can see what I'm working with at the moment. About to do a water change. And the light is a standard incandescent bulb. I want to change to the cfl type will do that later when I get a live plant. The snow has closed a lot of stores around here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130227_092409.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	155629

Tags
changed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com