Bad Betta Owner - I Didn't Know!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tango

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I bought a beautiful red/blue betta in May to keep me company in my home office. A few weeks into owning him, I noticed he had tail rot. I also had a plant I purchased in his bowl with him. I treated him for tail rot and threw out the plant. A few weeks later, he had it again!! So I went on-line to figure out what was going on and that's when I discovered how INHUMANE it is to keep your betta in a bowl. I felt tremendous guilt and started purchasing all the things needed to get him into a 2.5gal acrylic tank. I have the RO water with fake plants and gravel in his tank all set up and ready to go. The temperature is perfect for him and I'm about to cycle his tank with him as the starter fish. He's survived so many 100% water changes from the bowl he was living in and two bouts of tail rot. He truly is resilient. But I don't want to traumatize him any further than I have already. I feel terrible about my ignorance!! And now I am a newbie at starting up a brand new tank and from what I read, I'm now paralyzed in fear, prior to releasing him into the tank. I'm afraid I"m going to kill my fish on this last transfer. I think this little guy has the greatest personality. He is social and dances for me up and down the glass with his flowy red tail, that's why I named him Tango. I would sure hate to lose him and have to start all over again. If any one has any recommendations or advice before I make my next move, I'd love to hear from you soon as he's waiting for transfer into his new home.

Lora

a mistake made by many people IMO, but your are, as the jeffersons put it so nicely "moving on up" in the fish hobby and hope later on you upgrade that betta to a huge communtiny(if he does not bite or course) tank.

Tango said:
Hello all,

I bought a beautiful red/blue betta in May to keep me company in my home office. A few weeks into owning him, I noticed he had tail rot. I also had a plant I purchased in his bowl with him. I treated him for tail rot and threw out the plant. A few weeks later, he had it again!! So I went on-line to figure out what was going on and that's when I discovered how INHUMANE it is to keep your betta in a bowl. I felt tremendous guilt and started purchasing all the things needed to get him into a 2.5gal acrylic tank.

Good for you!

Tango said:
I have the RO water

The problem is that RO water has no trace elements in it. You need to mix it with Tap water. Pure RO is only a good idea in salt tanks when the salt adds the trace elements.

Tango said:
with fake plants and gravel in his tank all set up and ready to go. The temperature is perfect for him and I'm about to cycle his tank with him as the starter fish. He's survived so many 100% water changes from the bowl he was living in and two bouts of tail rot. He truly is resilient. But I don't want to traumatize him any further than I have already. I feel terrible about my ignorance!! And now I am a newbie at starting up a brand new tank and from what I read, I'm now paralyzed in fear, prior to releasing him into the tank. I'm afraid I"m going to kill my fish on this last transfer. I think this little guy has the greatest personality. He is social and dances for me up and down the glass with his flowy red tail, that's why I named him Tango. I would sure hate to lose him and have to start all over again. If any one has any recommendations or advice before I make my next move, I'd love to hear from you soon as he's waiting for transfer into his new home.

Lora

Well, this is not a good way to cycle a tank, but if it is the only option, I don't see as you have a choice. Fishless cycling is the way to go, but you already have had the fish a while and have connected. I hope all goes well. What is he in now?

He's now in a 2.5gal tank. And seems pretty happy. His tank is warmer than what his bowl used to be and he seems much more active.

Can I mix in distilled water and get the same effect of mixing RO with tap? When you use RO and distilled is it still necessary to condition the water if there is no chlorine to remove?

Like I said, I am a novice. I got the fish without much planning and now I'm trying to make up for all my mistakes after the fact.

Your betta would be perfectly happy in tap water mixed with dechlor. Just make sure you make the switch gradually so that he can adjust to your local water parameters vs. the distilled water.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice Tango.
I hope you enjoy it here.

Your betta really would be fine in just dechlor tap water.
Thats what I keep all 3 of mine in.

Back
Top Bottom