Beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daisey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,
About 4 months ago, my 7 yr. old grandson left a beautiful Betta at my house. That's all it took to get me hooked. Sadly, the Betta passed away a few days ago (dropsy).
Being a beginner, I tried to get as much info on the internet as possible and use some common sense as well. I know a little more now than I did when he got sick. I did isolate him and I tried a few different meds. No luck! (He was in a 10 gallon with 2 corys and 2 otos. They are okay.)
Anyway, I got a 29 gallon Aqueon set and I only let it cycle about 3 weeks. I was told to put fish in to get the ammonia cycle going (I know better now).
My tank has:
1 Dwarf Gourami, 5 Rasboras, 3 Cherry Barbs, 2 Tetras (1 neon, 1 cardinal, 4 died), and 2 spotted Corys.
The problem is, my 29 gallon is going through the nitrite cycle and I started to panic but in the last few days, I did 3 25% water changes, used Prime, Microbe-lift Special Blend and Microbe Lift Nite-Out ll.
My tank is still registering about 3 ppm. No matter what I do, the nitrites stay the same. Is this normal? I am into my 6th week of cycling. How long before the nitrites go down. Is there anything I can do or should I just be patient.
I really appreciate having a forum to connect with because I am stressed about this.

I can relate (the stress of cycling). There are so many possibilites, though given the 'age' of your tank, the most probable culprit: the bacteria are probably not fully colonized (for your tanks purposes) yet. The addition of plants would help tremendously at this stage, especially fast growing java moss, hornwort, water sprite -though they are not a quick-fix. Waterchanges are the best answer, although...Another source of N (besides the fish waste) to consider is the water itself. I assume you're filling with treated tap? If so, test the water before adding to your tank; sad but true -many municipal sources will have N in some form. You can also call your water co. and they can furnish you with more detailed info re: your water quality. FYI there are many mixed reviews regarding the efficacy of those bacterial additives (nite out, prime, etc.) -your best bet is to ask a friend/fellow aquarist for some seed gravel, or some filter media(used) to jumpstart your cycle -your LFS would probably be more than happy to accomodate this request as well. Good luck aand try not to stress, Plants for your tank's N, pints of ice cream for your stress.

Back
Top Bottom