beginner.. what fish ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andi1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi all have just started a 95 lt tank, have got 4 rathbun tetras (was 6) 2 black stripe dwarf cichlids and a siemese fighting fish, had water tested at local fish place and all good so now want to stock up a bit, its actually my daughters tank and she would like interesting and colourful fish . . .any ideas folks . . . :angel:

Hi all thanks for replys any ideas what we should add to the tank next

If it's a new tank I'd wait a while and make sure the tank is cycled properly. You should invest in a test kit for your fish.

Hi have had water tested a couple of times at local fish shop and its good, everything at rite levels.

The right levels in a cycled tank are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and rising nitrate (which should be kept under 20ppm with water changes). Is this what they are? We just like to make sure your tank is cycled so we are not suggesting fish that will be put into a uncycled tank (toxic environment). Did you read the article I posted? It contains 3 links on how tank cycling is done.

Also can you post a picture of the cichlids? I'm not sure what fish you are referring too.

Yes he tested the water and all levels as they should be. As i am new to this and want healthy & happy fish wanted to get it checked by people that know what they are doin. Will try to post pic bt not sure how !

You have two kribensis there. :) I maybe wrong though lol.
25g tank for all the people in the US.
With the kribs, Betta (fighter fish) and the tetars your getting closed to stocked IMO. I'm not 100% sure on the minimum tank size for the kribs but I'm sure someone else will chime in. I'd up the school of tetras back up to 6. You've got room for maye one bottom feeder like a bristlenose pleco (not a common!). I wouldn't do a school of cories or loaches because the kribs have claimed the lower regions as their territory and the tanks not big enough to allow more.

Last edited:
Was sold em as black striped dwarf cichlids are they not the same. .

Yes he tested the water and all levels as they should be. As i am new to this and want healthy & happy fish wanted to get it checked by people that know what they are doin. Will try to post pic bt not sure how !

Hi and Welcome to AA!

The people at the Fish Store usually have no idea what they are doing. They just want to sell you more fish. Before buying anymore fish I would first buy a good test kit. The API Master Freshwater kit is the most accurate.

How long did you have this tank running before adding your current stock?

How long has the tank been running?

Its a pretty good shop. Wouldnt let me buy untill they were sure of the water. They been goin years and from askin around know they are good. So trust em with water.

Bit worried bout havin the kribs may have to give back to shop. Think they may be too agressive for what my daughter wants in her tank.

Donkey gun tank been running a couple of month

Mumma. Think she wants little pretty things like cardinals; neons & guppies. And if room maybe a couple of interesting fish

andi1 said:
Mumma. Think she wants little pretty things like cardinals; neons & guppies. And if room maybe a couple of interesting fish

I would rehome them. It will open up the stock options immensely. Guppies are a huge hit with kids. My daughter (3) loves them. You could even rehome the tetras you have and replace them with neons. One thing that will have to be addressed is the Betta. They don't like anything with flowing or colorful tails so guppies couldn't go in the same tank.

Thanks mumma will rehome the kribs; gunna have trouble with the betta as kids love him ! Didnt know he would be a prob. . Hekk this is hard lol

Back
Top Bottom