Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2012, 02:53 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulHobbiest
The 20G ran for about a month but due to over population of that tank the water was brown and horribly dirty even after several water changes and when i pulled out the filter media it was caked with brown gunk, almost like a nasty nasty sludge...
If you still got the media rinse it off in tank water and throw it on the 55 it'll have BB which will help the cycle

Old 07-27-2012, 02:54 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it dried out though the BB is dead : /

Old 07-27-2012, 02:58 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I like the idea of having a large catfish but if you don't think it's a wise idea I guess I could find something else... I can trade the sharks in though, I'm good with that... I have two angels at the moment, how many Corys are actually required for a school?
Old 07-27-2012, 03:01 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

5-6 would be a minimum but if you wanna get into large cats your best bet is a 180gallon (6'x2'x2') catfish get BIG and have mouths to match. You could look into some of the synodontis cats which stay fairly small
Old 07-27-2012, 03:02 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I threw out the filter since I though something like that would do more harm then good... When I say caked in nasty brown crap I mean that thing was disturbingly dirty...

I just ran the test that I could and here's what I got...

Temp is around 76... I'm afraid to turn the heater up too far... Plus the stupid plastic clips broke already, buyin new ones tomorrow after work.

Ammonia reading is between .5-1.0
Old 07-27-2012, 03:04 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
5-6 would be a minimum but if you wanna get into large cats your best bet is a 180gallon (6'x2'x2') catfish get BIG and have mouths to match. You could look into some of the synodontis cats which stay fairly small
I could pick up a few more corys no problem. And i'll definitely look into the synodontis cats
Old 07-27-2012, 03:04 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ammo readings that high will be doing damage to the fish. You'll need to do back to back water changes. Just so you know a fish in cycle if you wanna save all the fish will require daily water changes possibly multiples. You would honestly be better off returning them all and either throwing in a couple cubes of mysis or brine shrimp or a bottle of pure ammonia to dose with
Old 07-27-2012, 03:08 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was hoping to avoid returning the fish it may be better to stabilize the tank then buy fish... I really went about this the wrong way...:/
Old 07-27-2012, 03:10 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulHobbiest
I was hoping to avoid returning the fish it may be better to stabilize the tank then buy fish... I really went about this the wrong way...:/
Don't stress it this seriously is how like 90% of fish hobbyists started out but the fact that your willing to look for and except advice means your in for a healthy fun tank. You'll soon find out this site can provide you all the experienced members you need for an educated decision.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:10 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The fish less cycle seems pretty easy though... I heard it still takes weeks though which is kind of a bummer but it's probably the best thing to do hopefully my LFS will except fish purchased from another store lol

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com