BelPhil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

belphil

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm Belinda.
We've recently entered the fish world!!
We had a few gold fish that grew very large, so we bought a large tank to accommodate them and added some pretty tropical fish. The large gold fish was too scary for the pretty fish so we gave him to the pet shop. We started with a couple of angles, a clown loach, gold fish with the brain on top ? Orami?, a couple of sucker fish and after adding and adding we had guppies, gouramis and two discus to top it all off. Then we got a clown loach for a friend to our other clown loach and they were very happy for 2 days then the new loach died. Long story short the tank was riddled in white spot and we had to act quickly to save them all, which we did. Water changes every 2-3 days and treatment etc etc for 2 weeks until all fish were healthy and happy again, then my gold fish got swim bladder from gulping tropical fish flakes so I moved them to another tank and treated them with pealed peas. Then we decided to get more discus so we got another tank and put the angels, dwarf gouramis & guppies in the new tank and left the discus in with some neons and a few black widow tetras.
We bought 3 new discus which totalled 5 and we've had them for 2 days, came home from work one is dead and one is very sick covered in white film and I don't think is going to make it. I think its gill fluke from internet research, so I've got him in a bucket with salt until I can get to the aquarium shop tomorrow. My tank is very cloudy so I've done another water change, but my Ph etc is all good, so I think i've been over feeding them cause I've been trying to accommodate them all food wise and think I've over done it, not sure.
Needless to say its been a long month, as this all started about 1 month ago and I feel like I'm fish consumed 24/7, as between the white spot and the swim bladder and now the gill flukes, I'm really wondering if its all worth it and if I'll ever enjoy these fish. They are beautiful but I just don't have the heart as it breaks when they are sick and die and its sooo much work, I had no idea. But now that i've spent god knows how much $$$$, I want them all healthy and I'm not sure what to do next. How do I save my discus. Thank you to anyone who has taken the time to read my never ending story, I think I'll be living on here for a while.
Appreciate any help, advice, support......:(

First off Welcome to AA....
You might want to slow down in buying fish. TAKE YOUR TIME....
How long have you had the tank set up before adding all of these fishes?
The tank needs to cycle before you start to adding any fish...

Last edited:
Welcome to AA.

Possibly the truest thing I have learned in this hobby: Nothing good happens quickly in an aquarium.

I am sure you will get some good (sometimes hard to hear) advice from folks on your post.

Thank you all for the welcome.

I think thats very good advice mwilliams. I've certainly leart this the hard way.

Once I'm on top of all this, there will be no new fish for a while.

I've done all this within about 1 month, just bought it all and threw them all in and had no idea it could all be so complex and hard.

:confused:

OMG Mike, your aquarium is awesome!! its just beautiful. U sb very proud...

Back
Top Bottom