Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Red face Bewildered Newb with 10g Freshwater

Good Morning, everyone! Just wanted to make a quick introduction before diving headlong into the advice forums in hopes of rectifying the series of classic newb mistakes I've made over the course of the last couple of months while setting up a 10 gallon freshwater tank for my 5-year-old Stepdaughter's female Veiltail Betta, Princess Elsa Rapunzel

I have done as much research as possible about cycling and new aquarium setup as I wanted to be a responsible aquarium owner and teach my kids how to do the same, however I am still to some extent learning as I go along, and most of the time I stumble across a valuable piece of advice just after I've gone and done the exact opposite of what is recommended :/

At any rate, we rescued a pitiful looking purple and magenta female veiltail Betta from Petco, and we have housed her in a 10 gallon freshwater aquarium kept at 79-81 degrees F with 6 live plants (Anubias, Java Fern, Argentine? Swords) and a Whisper PF10 filter which I plan to change out as the flow can't be adjusted and I believe the current is too strong for a Betta. She also has a number of hiding places including a floating hollow "Betta Log" and eats Hikari Gold pellets, Dried Bloodworms, and frozen brine shrimp as a treat. I test the water regularly with an API Master kit as my research showed that to be the preferred kit for those in the know.

I will be posting specific questions shortly in another thread, but if there is anything here that jumps out at you as clearly being a bad idea, please feel free to jump in and save me from myself!

Thanks in advance,

Accidental Aquarist Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
Fish R friends, not food!

Sounds like you are doing everything right. If you are still cycling though, you may be doing alot of water changes to ensure the ammonia doesnt spike and kill rapunzel..

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
Welcome to AA!

Fishy Aston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Welcome to AA!! We are glad to have you!
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com