Boy, I wish I'd researched first!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flippergonzo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm sure that this is a common theme, but man-oh-man I really wish I'd researched a lot more rather than just relying on the 'expertise' of the guy at pet smart. But now I'm smarter (sort-of) and wiser (ummmmmm) and maybe even better looking (wishful thinking)?:)

Anyways, just wanted to say hi and post a couple of questions.

I have 2 tanks right now. One 30G with a 6 guppies, 10 neons, a sunburst platty, 1 yellow pleco and a dwarf frog. The second tank is a 90G Cichlid tank with 10 various kinds.

I first wanted to say thanks for all of the great advice I've gotten. I just bought a Python and it's been a LIFE-SAVER. I can't believe I didn't know about them! Water changes are super easy now. Second, my Cichlid tank is just now at the tail end of an algae bloom. Once again, my initial panic (OH MY GOD, QUICK, CHANGE ALL OF THE WATER!!!) was assuaged by reading these posts and with the help of my new python and a bunch of old blankets it's all coming to an end after 3 days.

So once again....thanks!

On to my question. My Cichlid tank is great. But I have no idea what kind of Cichlids I have in there! I'd really like to catalog them so that a) I know what I can add and b) I don't feel dumb when asked by the fish store guy.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a website that I can use to help me catalog them? I understand that my success will be spotty at best, but if I can identify some at least, then I'd feel better rather than posting pics and asking for help on all of them!!

Anyways, thanks again and cheerio!
Jef

Welcome to AA :) cichlid forum has a nice id'ing section that has a profile on most every cichlid ever discovered. You could also post pics of them here in our own forum and we could id them for you and tell you if theyre all compatable or not.

Well first of all welcome to AA flipper.

If your able to take some pictures and post them in our cichlid area that would be easiest on you. Just post them and we do the research for you and tell you what we think.

If you rather just do it yourself, which is sometimes faster and more fun finding it yourself I suggest some of these cichlid sites.

Home - AllCichlids.com - The #1 Resource for Cichlid Information (Lots of links)
List of Species described (Only first like 8 sections are cichlids, you can just read the subtitles lol. Lots of links)
African Cichlid Genus Gallery (This one is sort of small but as pictures so it's easy)

Hope that helps, if you have anymore questions let me know.

Ben

Your best bet is to take pictures. If you have a mix of African and New/Old world cichlids, you will be searching forever.

Thanks all!

Ben, that's kinda what I was interested in, is some of the research and seeing if I can figure some of them out myself. Once I have a better idea of what I 'think' I have, then I'll post a few pics and see if I was even close!

Cheerio!

Thanks all!

Ben, that's kinda what I was interested in, is some of the research and seeing if I can figure some of them out myself. Once I have a better idea of what I 'think' I have, then I'll post a few pics and see if I was even close!

Cheerio!

Your welcome, I just went by what I like to do really. Researching and learning stuff on your own just makes you that much smarter and it sticks with you better then if someone just tells you.

Here is the site that I use most and has been very helpful www.cichlid-forum.com . On the left side of the page is Profiles. Click on profiles and start searching. Have a ball. It is a great site and you will be on it for hours. They have pics of cichlids at all stages of development and both male and female.

Aquahobby.com has pictures of a TON of different fish (including cichlids) with community members sharing their experiences with each fish.

Back
Top Bottom