Brand new!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nianoconnor

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!

I just started a freshwater aquarium. 10 gal, and stocked it with two platy and one Cory cat. I'm on day two now, and currently trying to get my cycle going. I plan on testing my water today and doing 10-30% change if ammonia is high. I wasn't planning on feeding them until tomorrow. Any tips or pointers would be appreciated!

Congrats and welcome!

When your ammonia levels start to rise keep in mind they will proportionally reduced by a water change. Stated more simply, if you only remove 10% of the water you will only remove 10% of the ammonia.

My tip would be to do larger water changes if you start to see ammonia rise to dangerous levels.

Good luck!

Congrats and welcome!

When your ammonia levels start to rise keep in mind they will proportionally reduced by a water change. Stated more simply, if you only remove 10% of the water you will only remove 10% of the ammonia.

My tip would be to do larger water changes if you start to see ammonia rise to dangerous levels.

Good luck!

So I know I need to build up some ammonia to get the cycle going, but what is the limit of the safe thresh hold? When should I change water?

So I know I need to build up some ammonia to get the cycle going, but what is the limit of the safe thresh hold? When should I change water?

With a fish-in cycle you don't really need to let the ammonia build up. It will cycle even with a small amount of ammonia production for the fish waste.

I usually change 50% of the water when ammonia reaches .25ppm

Back
Top Bottom