British Expat in Oh Canadia!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cupatea

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all
Just a quick intro, I'm helping out my 14yo son with his second tank, this time it's the Fluval Flex 15g after upgrading slightly from the Edge 6g tank. Total newbies after a year of trials, errors and the occasional aquatic departure to fishy heaven [emoji43]....! I'll be posting a couple of Q's for you all, my apologies if I place them in the wrong sub-forum. Anyhoo's good to be here and hope to glean good advice from you all!!

Hi there, welcome:)

Any idea what fish you like yet? I have a Betta, and neon tetras in one tank, wcmm in another, and goldfish wintering in my newest tank

Hi Sassy! Well, we've had a year of experimentation ;-/ neons tetra's, guppies then introduced snails, to maintain the algae, with a resultant snail explosion; introduced a loach that then wiped them out in a couple of weeks; who then started to stalk the guppies to death during overnight vigils! We're left with a couple of neons and a cherry barb after surrendering the loach to the local pet store [emoji51]. We're going to introduce a dozen or so of tetra's of varied types, hopefully with shrimp.

tetras

if you put shrimp in with teteras most likely theyll eat them do shrimp or fish just mo

Actually, I was surprised to hear my fish guy say the same thing...I was looking at some adorable little red and white shrimp

Apparently, neons will eat shrimp unless they are bigger than them. Ghost shrimp will work:)

Varying tetras may not be the best move...surprisingly, even among the umbrella name of tetras they still school in their own kind....so you want at least six per type for a happy group

Thanks but I don't think the local stores keep ghost shrimp; I'll have to research more but I'm after a decent algae eater that doesn't multiply like the snails I've had...! Suggestions welcome! Otherwise I'll be getting half a dozen each of 3 types of tetras, if the 15g tank can take it. The store owner thought so, but you never know if they're after a quick buck...

There's an online calculator that you can use...aqadvisor.com

You input your fish and your tank information, and it will determine if you are stocking well:)

My favourite snails are assassin snails, but they are not technically algae consumers....more fish food and other snails if you catch pests on your plants lol

I think a 15g should be able to handle 12tetras and a barb.... but you want to add only one group at a time so your beneficial bacteria can adjust to the bioload

Tetras love plants too, and some plants will help handle any strain on the tank from being fully stocked. I like wisteria because it's easy to grow, and java fern(tied to a little piece of wood or porous rock) hornwort grows really quickly as a floating plant but I found it died off on me every time I tried to grow it from the bottom like a normal plant lol

Thanks Sass! You've been a great help. I've stocked the neons now, striped will go in next week and we'll debate any further fish after going to the tank/fish stock calculator you gave me there. We've not embarked on any plants yet, but if it helps we'll take the plunge. Cheers!!

I love neons, I have a school in my 29 :)

I have looked at Black skirt tetras too. But now I have a Betta in the community tank so I have to check compatibility...can't afford to have fin nippers of anything he might see as competitors lol

Good luck with your tank:)

I know right? 36 fish in a 15gallon wouldn't have much room to swim lol

Not sure if I would even put 36tetras in my 29bowfront, now that I think of it....

Back
Top Bottom