Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-17-2013, 05:15 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by jeh1487 View Post
why would you go with a FW live plant tank just wondering when i got hooked it was SW all the way
I have both a reef and a heavily planted tank and honestly I switch back and forth between which one I like more on an almost weekly basis.

The EI standard dosing is meant for a fairly heavily planted tank. You can easily adjust the amount you are dosing to what your aquarium needs; for example I am dosing an extra 25% of the potassium my dosing schedule recommends because my plants were showing a bit of a deficiency. Once you get used to handling plants you will notice specific differences in the plants when there is a deficiency.

As for testing the ferts, you generally don't test for anything but nitrate and phosphate. Potassium is quite benign and isn't harmful and micro ferts are the same way. The weekly water change is there to "Reset" your nutrient levels back to keep them from getting too high.

Dry ferts: Cheaper and more customizable.
Liquid ferts: Often lacking certain ferts, more expensive, and easier.

The small grass like plant is likely Dwarf hair grass which needs high lighting and usually needs co2 to thrive. Plants will also go through a break in period when getting used to your tank. The plants could have also gone through temperature shock from getting too cold or too hot making some of their leaves die.

Mebbid's Fishtopia: Various builds
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
agreed cl is crap around herre too besides i rarely buy used i never want someone elses probs i try new as much as possible. plus its supposedly hard to keep saltwater tanks and i need to learn fresh before going salt

Proflooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks Mebbid for the great advice! I appreciate it. Ill post more pictures when its established and everything.

AquariumBot3000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com