Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

Hi, am having trouble with what to do. Read soooo much am now confused.
I have 25 pound live rock and 80 pound sand (said live in the bag). Anyway, I followed my LFS instructions and now am thinking I screwed up. He said to go ahead and put the sand in (no rinse/clean needed), and to go ahead and put rock, fill tank and add salt. Then wait for cycle. Umm, I bought a 25' syphon hose and ended up taking it back (was too short) got the 50'. Hate it, it sprays all over my bathroom and popped off and flooded under sink and floor. But now am wondering if I need to remove everything because he said I could use my tap water. I'm finding that is wrong due to chlorine and chloramide stuff. I'm seeing I need RO and don't know how to do it. Am kinda physically limited so I can't carry water. I have a spare bathroom, I want to remove toilet and plug hole and put RO in there with some sort of container to hold RO water. Don't know how make a mix area. Think I neeWd sump too now and no place in cabinet. Am lost. Have protein skinner but is not assembled cause I think I have to drain and start over. Now after I got the live rock I'm see stuff about base rock. And put rock on sand, no don't put it on sand, and now also glueing it. Am thinking to empty my tank, take my rock out, put it in the sun, clean the sand somehow (no clue there either). But I believe I need the other systems set up first (like ro and sump). Not going to the quarantine stuff yet, that's another task later on, for now I want it up and cycling. Sorry so long. Oh and read about water conditioning for tap water and there's mixed ideas that yes it works and no it doesn't but either way I'm trying to do a reef tank (which i need to also figure out the rock/cave stuff) which I believe would do better with an ro unit. I'm in a jam sorta but I know this will be fantastic when done. So first question I guess is how to do an ro setup and what ro to use, then how to build the sump and what size (even rubbermaid is ok) to put my stuff in, how to do overflow box. And finally in what order do I need to get these things done. Am planning corals, fish and invertbrae eventually. Then how to post a pic from my phone. Thank you all for reading and any advice would be helpful.

Tank info is in profile, don't know how to get it here with each post

huifenghe73737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there. Welcome to AA. I am not familiar with salt water even the slightest bit, so I unfortunately can not help you there. But, I will suggest that you break your questions up into topcs and post them in thread spots designed for each such as Equipment and general hardware...post your question about the overflow box here. Good luck! I hope you find your answers.

I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello friend. Sorry for the late reply. Thats a lot of info in one intro lol.

Lets start with this: what tank size do you have? Return the live sand if you havent opened it yet. Just put the live rocks in the tank with marine water, add a powerhead or circulation pump, then get the cycle started. Lets stay away from corals for a few months..

Im glad you did some research. You still have many more hours of research to do, but dont lose hope. Do everything slowly, know why you are doing everything, and plan ahead. And when you get stuck, ask questions just like you're doing right now.
Kind Regards,
Terrance is offline   Reply With Quote

build, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com