can catfish overeat??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gourami-mommy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hallo!!! My catfish Toby (I don't know how to sex him so I just call him tobias) is very round around his belly!!! Is he overeating or is it possible that he is about to lay eggs? He is a suncat and hides when the light is on so I do not have any pictures of him, unfortunately!!

:welcome:welcome to AA :welcome:,
yes any fish can over eat but it can be regulated by how much you feed . over feeding can lead to a smelly dirty tank , it can also cause your water to turn cloudy it can also fuel algae ,

the freshwater section on the forum can help with any and all your issues. so feel free to brows the entire forum.

look forward to seeing you on the forums . and again welcome to the forum (y)

Hallo!!! My catfish Toby (I don't know how to sex him so I just call him tobias) is very round around his belly!!! Is he overeating or is it possible that he is about to lay eggs? He is a suncat and hides when the light is on so I do not have any pictures of him, unfortunately!!
Yes. Catfish can overeat. Some speices are more prone to it than others. The are opportunist that will tend to eat everything that their barbells tell them is edible. But, on the other hand, it could be a female that's full of ripened eggs...it's the time of year. If it is eggs and no male is present, she could lay them anyway in which case they get eaten or in some cases, a fishes body after awhile will reabsorb them as nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom