can this tank be saved?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to this forum, but not new to freshwater aquaria. I'm a teacher, and I found in one of our storerooms a really old aquarium (probably as old as the school-40 years) It's about a 40 gallon tank with a rusted metal frame. The bottom appears to be slate. It doesn't appear to leak, at least for the short time I put water in it, but the caulking is old and looks it. It has years of dust and grime on it, not to mention hard water stains. Just washing it with plain water didn't help much. I'd like to have it for my classroom, but not if getting it cleaned up is a major undertaking. It doesn't have to be a thing of great beauty-the fish take care of that! Can I clean off the rust, and if so, with what? Should I remove the old caulking, or just E-6000 over it? I've used E-6000 successfully to repair minor leaks on other aquaria, so I know it's safe.
Thanks, Lyn

you can clean it with bleach, not sure of the ratio because I use a sodium product to counteract the bleach in mine. Hot HOT water and good old elbow grease, they do make an aquarium safe cleaner in a small spray bottle, however gotta rinse it afterwards which is a given but..

The rust is nothing but a stiff bristle brush or a power brush and rust-oleum paint.

Id get what old sealant you can out of there then go back over it with the new sealant.

thanks!

Thanks, I have used bleach before to clean an old tank, so I'm comfortable with that. Getting rid of the old sealant-yuck! but you're probably right.
Lyn

I had several metal frame aquariums as a kid. The glass is much thinner than the tanks today so be sure to make sure it is level so it doesn't crack. I have several crack.

The metal frame should clean up with a wire brush becareful not to scratch the glass.

The sealant they used was used for a good reason the silicon won't adhere to the slate bottom check this out OldeTkRepairFAQs I don't know if the sealant they used will cause problems with the silicon curing the way it is suppose to. If I remember right the glass was stuck to the metal frame with that black gucky stuff.

Back
Top Bottom