Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptainMako
Can't seem to get it right

Hey everyone. Not necessarily new to the site in terms of accounts, but nonetheless new in terms of time spent here. Had a previous account but I lost the log in.

Came to you guys before begging for enlightenment on the ammonia cycle, and the community put up with how long it took to get into my thick skull. At that time I only had a great interest in marine biology and money to spend on a tank.

Now, a few months later. I have a 30 gallon freshwater tank with six little dalmatian mollies. I know your first tank doesn't go perfect, but geez.
I've had fungal infections, what could have been freshwater velvet, heaters melting holding clasps, filters that break down and just recently an issue with a brand new water changer.

Just wondering how everyone else's first tank went or is currently going, need some reassurance that I won't constantly run into problems.

Thanks again community, this site is a great help to beginners and intermediates alike!
Shaun

Old 04-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

There are always hiccups here or there, but for the most part, as a tank gets more established and mature, it will really settle in to a nice routine. Weekly PWCs and some brushing of the glass is all that is required.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Yep. This is how a lot of us started, myself included. It was rocky at first, but once I learned the basics and got in to a routine, things were smooth from there. Once you get your hands wrapped around the basics of fishkeeping, you can branch out in to some of the more complicated aspects of fishkeping like reefs or high tech planted tanks. That has an initial learning period, but as most things in life, the harder you work for something, the more rewarding it is.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think there are still some things I am shaky on though, PWC type things.

My yearning to keep the fish healthy, happy and entertained (If they even have the brain capacity to feel boredom) coupled with OCD has made me want to empty the entire tank, clean it and everything inside of it out and replace all of the water more often than necessary. I'm was doing almost every week and a half before, that was before I realized hauling gallons of water up and down stairs wasn't for me.
I know PWCs are weekly, but how often do I REALLY need to clean everything like that?
Old 04-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

You don't really ever have to clean everything like that, and often it has more negative effects than positive. Just weekly pwc's and gravel vacs, as well as good filter maintenance is all you need.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I could remedy both of those problems if that water changer I had just bought worked.
And right now, because I am just dealing with fish and not plants, I don't have to provide any natural light? The hood light will give them what they need?
I know sunlight means algae growth, but will having my blinds open for a few hours during summer have a great effect?
I'm sorry, I should really go to the other forums about this, just the questions I have always wondered about.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey welcome to AA, You were smart to come back here for advice, everyone will try their best to help you
I was a lot like you when I first started (actually I only started a few months ago with fish, and only properly within the last month) so I'm dealing with some of the same situations, except in goldfish. Anyways has your tank been properly cycled? If you read up on the nitrogen cycle it could really help you understand this again Sorry I don't have the link, but I'm sure someone else has it
For cleaning, if your no longer in the cycling process, just changing 20-25% water is good, as well as the gravel vac. I find when theres algae on the glass I just scrub it off...since my goldfish and pleco will eat it anyways. Just make sure to test the water and see if everything seems alright
I would start a new thread under general care of freshwater fish just so you can get the most help possible, many people seem to skip over the new members forum and just go to the forum they're interested in... so you'll have lots of people who know what to do
Old 04-06-2011, 03:21 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

A lot of good advice posted here and I know what you mean about the OCD aspect lol. IME, one thing I figured out is that sometimes less is more and wanting a pristine tank may look great, but I forget that fish don't live that way in the real world.

I redirect my need to get it just right by giving into MTS, and redecorating my established DT with new DW, rocks, etc or getting more plants .
Old 04-06-2011, 03:46 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMako View Post
I think there are still some things I am shaky on though, PWC type things.

My yearning to keep the fish healthy, happy and entertained (If they even have the brain capacity to feel boredom) coupled with OCD has made me want to empty the entire tank, clean it and everything inside of it out and replace all of the water more often than necessary. I'm was doing almost every week and a half before, that was before I realized hauling gallons of water up and down stairs wasn't for me.
I know PWCs are weekly, but how often do I REALLY need to clean everything like that?
Hi Captain,
I to have an OCD issue. I fight myself not to clean my tanks to much. In the beginning of my fish keeping (before AA) I was undoing the nitrate bacteria over and over again because I was cleaning to much.
Someone asked me what I thought the water was like in the lake and rivers that the fish live in, in nature. Which really made me think, a lot of the water out there is pretty slimy. Fish like dirty water, not toxic, but dirty. So I finally learned that sometimes doing nothing is the best thing you can do for your fish. But even after 7 years I still fight the urge to clean it out.
What has helped is that I have Mbunas and to stop territorial battles I have to rearrange the landscape of my tank every week. So even though I don't get to clean it, I still get to fuss with it.
But if things aren't going well I can understand the urge to empty it out and start again.
Don't worry to much about the little disasters. As you get more comfortable with what and how to do things, those things will diminish. Of course with any living thing, you will always have the unexpected, it's expected.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com