Charlene's 1st aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396062220.790798.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396062279.760277.jpg
Meet Abby, an ornada goldfish, Kate, a sm. fantail, and two Blue Apple (mystery) Snails, Turbo & Jean(French pronunciation).

charlee's 1st aquarium

Welcome !
Please research the needs of your Goldfish. Just FYI you should have 2 Fancies in at least a 30g and a 40g or 50g would be better. Is your tank a 20g or a 10g ? Either is much better than a bowl ?

Goldfish grow fast and Fancies get big. Lifespan can be over 10years with good care.

I know they are tiny now. But it would be sad to lose them after getting attached.

Keep testing your water and decide whether you'd rather upgrade tank or perhaps take them back and stock more appropriate sized fish ?

http://youtu.be/9Xx5JxzmkUc

For now, in case you don't know.
No floating food. Sinking pellets or soak food in a cup of tank water.
Defrosted/shelled Green Peas at least once a week. Other Greens or Veggies are good as well. A feeding clip can help hold food underwater.

Enjoy your tank ?

Also last note, the Bamboo needs the leaves out of the water. It will eventually rot if kept submerged.

I apologize for the lecture. Goldfish are underrated and there is a lot of misinformation out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanx for the help... I plan on upgrading the tank as they get older, just using my old one for now. We are doing the pellets ( I read about that in another AA forum) and we are giving them plankton once a week. I read somewhere we should be feeding them orange slices. Is that true?
Also you can't tell from the pics but the filter is a 20gal on a 10gal tank to keep up with the excess waste. Ph is staying steady (which is what I'm told is impt) 7.6.

Oh good. The main thing to worry about, much more than PH is Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. Ammonia and high Nitrates will kill fish.

Orange slices are good, I use a clip and only feed just before a PWC. Zucchini is good , you can blanch it or leave it in till it softens a bit. Peas are key though. Keep a bag in the freezer.
Rinse all veg and greens. Buy organic if possible, but still rinse well. Since peas get skinned, just regular is fine.

Don't wait too long to upgrade. As u saw from vid, they grow FAST in good conditions. They need room to grow, don't wait till you realize they aren't growing. Used tanks or $1/gallon sales can help get you a bigger tank. Or look for a local Aquarium Club. Ours has great auctions and I've gotten a ton of great deals and freebies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow up Charlee's fish got ick... We couldn't regulate the tempt urge properly and they perished... But not b4 eating the snails :-(

Cleaned tank fixed temperature issues and got two new goldfish... A Black Moore - Kate, a Pearscale - Abby, a Black Mystery - Turbo, & a Gold Inca, Jean.
Just bought a 30gal tank just haven't switched them yet.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402757934.066309.jpg

Not to be the downer, but I would bet that the new fish will perish too. Have you cycled the tank? You need a much larger tank to keep all those fish long term. Please check out the articles and good luck.

The bamboo will die and rot if kept submerged.

Back
Top Bottom