Chaulk up another Newbie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jschimm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Other than some half hearted attempts at 10 and 20 gal tanks when I was a youngster, I consider myself a complete newbie to freshwater aquariums. Now as a middle aged man, I am fulfilling a long time desire to have a nice large tank in my livingroom as a center piece to the decor, and well as the enjoyment of creating a beautiful aquatic environment in my home. My lovely wife is getting me a 90 gal Marineland tank and stand this weekend. I bought a Fluval 406 canister filter and Eheim 200w heater. I want to, after getting my chops up with maintaining fish and water, get into some live plants. Most likely some low tech, low maintenance plants, but we'll deal with that later. So I purchased a bunch of Eco Complete black planted aquarium substrate. I figure bite the bullet now, and add the plants later if all works out. Once I get the gear set up, I plan on doing a fishless cycling for god knows how long, and eventually get some inhabitants. I am thinking Anglefish and some nice schooling fish that don't get too big. Still doing my research on-line to see what I like and what plays well with it's neighbors. Looking forward to reviewing the info here, and hopefully sharing more successes than failures!

Other than some half hearted attempts at 10 and 20 gal tanks when I was a youngster, I consider myself a complete newbie to freshwater aquariums. Now as a middle aged man, I am fulfilling a long time desire to have a nice large tank in my livingroom as a center piece to the decor, and well as the enjoyment of creating a beautiful aquatic environment in my home. My lovely wife is getting me a 90 gal Marineland tank and stand this weekend. I bought a Fluval 406 canister filter and Eheim 200w heater. I want to, after getting my chops up with maintaining fish and water, get into some live plants. Most likely some low tech, low maintenance plants, but we'll deal with that later. So I purchased a bunch of Eco Complete black planted aquarium substrate. I figure bite the bullet now, and add the plants later if all works out. Once I get the gear set up, I plan on doing a fishless cycling for god knows how long, and eventually get some inhabitants. I am thinking Anglefish and some nice schooling fish that don't get too big. Still doing my research on-line to see what I like and what plays well with it's neighbors. Looking forward to reviewing the info here, and hopefully sharing more successes than failures!
Welcome to Aquarium Advice! I would recommend getting an at least 300 watt heater on a tank that size. Getting an additional 200watt heater will solve this problem and help better heat distribution within the aquarium.
Good Luck!

Welcome to Aquarium Advice, enjoy the forum!

If you have any questions on how to use the website, I will be happy to help! :)

Back
Top Bottom