Checking in and saying hi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

octanejunkie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello fellow aquarists!

I'm new to fishkeeping as well as this forum; nice place you got here :)

My daughter got a fishtank from her grandpa for graduation and now I'm hooked too. We have a 6-gal 360° tall Glo-Fish tank (from Amazon.com).

We set up the tank several weeks ago with Glo-gravel, Anacharis, a plastic plant and faux coral from Petco and two Neon Tetras from a local aquarium-specialty store locally; the fish at Petco did not look good.

After about a month we added another Tetra as the two were fin-nipping (which I suppose is normal in a small school/small tank) and added Micro sword plant and Java moss and 2 Red Cherry Shrimp, all from the same local aquarium store; around July 7th. The Tetras still nip and chase each other and the shrimp mostly hide. One of the two shrimp has a clutch of eggs showing that I did not see when I bought them.

We have done one 25% water change and a "few" filter changes as the little filter in the Aquarius AQ0080 seemed to "plug" quickly after about a month. We threw the first filter out and have rinsed the second two on the advice of the LFS staff (not Petco). I'm not sure if this little filter is sufficient, but we had the water tested and our pH was kind of high, around 8.0, everything else tested normal (according to the LFS staff).

So far so good, but I expect trouble in paradise will eventually beset us as we are noobs at maintaining an ecosystem, so we will learn by doing (and hopefully not killing our livestock).

Thanks for a warm welcome and see you around the forum!

Hey welcome to AA! Nice to have you here

Unfortunately, neon tetras need at least 10 gallons, maybe fin nipping because they are uncomfortable
A betta would be a much better option, or mosquito fish or maybe even some endlers

Hey welcome to AA! Nice to have you here

Unfortunately, neon tetras need at least 10 gallons, maybe fin nipping because they are uncomfortable
A betta would be a much better option, or mosquito fish or maybe even some endlers

I've been thinking about possibly turning this setup into a betta tank, but the filter causes a lot of disruption... size and layout of the tank might be interesting for a beta.

I'm looking to do a community 20gal tank for neons and other maybe some other schoolers.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Yea that would be a nice betta tank, put a sponge to cover up the bottom of the mouth in the filter where the water comes out, that will come out much calmer
Oh just saying, I would get a 50 gallon instead of the 20, much more options, and you are going to want to upgrade soon :D
if you get the 20 gallon, get a 20 gallon long, you have more options with that

Yea that would be a nice betta tank, put a sponge to cover up the bottom of the mouth in the filter where the water comes out, that will come out much calmer

Glad to near that. I was thinking about how I could divert or obscure the output to make it more conducive to a betta. You think I could keep shrimo in there too? Obviously depends in the personality of the betta...

Oh just saying, I would get a 50 gallon instead of the 20, much more options, and you are going to want to upgrade soon :D
if you get the 20 gallon, get a 20 gallon long, you have more options with that

I just don't have to room for much and I'm already planning a nano shrimp tank so the neons might have to wait where they are... sans betta of course ;)

Back
Top Bottom