Checking in with a 14g nano reef, soon a 29g reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

victor.m

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys! Nice to be here, I'm a brand spanking new saltwater enthusiast entering the scene. Already dropped by at ReefLounge and the guys there have been great help, but I saw this community and it seems pretty cool, so who says you can only frequent one?!

Anyhow, I just started my first reef about 4 days ago. It's a 14 gallon BioCube. Glad to say all the chemical levels are fine, nitrates and nitrites are at 0, as well as amonia, and the pH is at a healthy 8.1. So far I have 12.8lbs of live rock (putting it in gradually), a Zoanthid that seems like it's doing amazingly well, and a Yellow-tail Damsel, to start the cycle. Really excited as this is my first tank, and everything looks like it's going well so far. Loving it!

Anyhow, I have plans for a 29 gallon soon. Long story short, I just bought a setup but accidentally cracked the tank (bought it from someone, not a store). Since I messed it up I'm just going to get a new tank, but I'm going to wait since I'll be moving in a month or so and it's no fun to have to move a 29g tank, albeit relatively small. Plan on it being a peaceful reef tank, can't wait to get started on it. Hopefully my experience from the smaller tank will rub off!

I'm just now learning all about chemical levels, cycling, and whatnot, so I don't know much yet, but I hopefully will soon. Even thinking about taking some marine science classes here at uni.

Anyhow, here I am! And no post would be complete without some pictures :)

Attachments

• IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0619.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0621.jpg
    IMG_0621.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 104
Hi, Welcome to the site we are glad to have you your tank looks good I like the lighting and that damsel has upper fins that are standing up like a cat that just saw a dog cool little fish. This site I preffered over ReefLounge and others a lot of cool friendly people

Welcome to the site. I might suggest you move some of your rock of the side glass just a bit. Makes it really difficult to scrape once you start getting the coralline and stuff growing.

Thank you for the warm welcome and the advice :) I'm gonna re-arrange the rocks soon when I get a bit more, and will then get them away from the glass. I just hadn't thought about it yet since I don't have any algae or coraline thus far :p Every time I re-arrange the rocks it scares the crap out of my damsel and it hides for the next 2 hours, lol.

I'm also now working on my 29g. As I mentioned, my tank cracked, so I just went out to buy a new one. Now looking at a lighting fixture, a 30" 110w T5 Acinitic/10K Daylight with moonlights, should be okay for most soft corals I suppose. Problem is I'm moving in 3 weeks, should I get the cycle started now, or wait until the move? I'm probably going to have to change out all the water when I move.

Well, actually 5 days old today! Got it on the 5th, let everything settle overnight, and got the rocks and fish on the 7th. Then some more rocks on the 8th, and it's bee how it is since.

Roka,

Your sig pic hasnt shown for the last few days. Anybody else?

Thanks you for the welcomes! My tank is actually now covered pretty bad in diatoms and some slight green algae, trying to fight it with less light. I guess this is normal and will go away with time. Can't wait 'til my cycle is done!

Diatoms is a good sign. You are well on your way to a cycled tank.

What are you parameters?

Ammonia
NitrIte
NitrAte
PH
SG?

Thanks for all the welcome and sorry for being away so long! The tank is doing wonderfully now, I will post some updated pics soon.

As for the chemical levels, I've been getting the water tested by my LFS and they have said that so far it seems fine, my cycle is done and Amonia/Nitrite/Nitrate are at 0 (or very low), and pH was at 8.1. I hope to get some test kits soon so I can test myself, but money has been very tight as of late so I've just been trusting the LFS for the tests (bad idea I know, but as a college student, there's no other way out).

Anyhow, updated pics soon!

And here are the updated pics as promised! Now have a small cleanup crew of 7 hermit crabs and a new member to the family :)

Attachments

• IMG_0688.jpg
    IMG_0688.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0689.jpg
    IMG_0689.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 90
Thank you for the kind comments, I plan on later on getting another couple of corals (I was thinking bubble coral and mushroom, but I'll have to read into it), and maybe next year a larger tank like a 55 gal. I currently have 13lbs of live rock, might add in a bit more of that as well when the $ gets easier.

Back
Top Bottom