cheers from AB,Canada quick question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonalvarez007

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi! nice to be part of this forum. i'm 4mos in the hobby and enjoying it. im just wondering what are these small, oval shaped, slow moving things on my aquarium glass and one of the leaves. not sure if they're snails or what. are they harmful to the system? how to get rid? thanks a lot in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0351[1].jpg
    IMG_0351[1].jpg
    241 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0353[1].jpg
    IMG_0353[1].jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 81
Welcome from a fellow Albertan, wonderful weather we are having eh!!!! Those are snails, no expert on them as to whether they are harmful or not. I wouldn't worry unless you see them eating your plants.

Thanks man! It was wonderful not until yesterday when temp went down to freezing -28c here in lethbridge. Aquarium heater is working double time to keep up with the temp. Hopefully these snails dont grow as big as an average snail coz there's about 20 of them on the glass and comes out when lights are off. Well anyway. As long as they dont infest my tank. They're welcome to stay. =)

Welcome! Its nice to see some people from Alberta!

I would say they are snails, depending on what type they may or may not take over.

They more than likely got a ride on some of your nice plants!

with all those plants I would say they are pond snails. and they multiply like crazy so you may want to take action every week or so to get rid of them... in order to keep them under control ... its nearly impossible to totally get rid of them

do you have any bottom feeders in your tank?

How do i control them? I read lettuce during lights off? Dont have bottom feeders. I just have ghost shrimps. Its a 25 gal planted. I got 8 harlequins, 6 black neons, 1 male & 1 female betta, 2 otos, 4 ghost shrimps and 2 mystery snails. Got 2 filters running. 1 moving bed with k1 media and 1 hob with bio ceramic and sponge. I know corys have to be in a shoal of at least 4.

Hello and welcome fellow Albertan!! I bought some assassin snails to help keep my pest snails at bay. Also try sliced zucchini they flock to it and then just pick the zucchini along with the snails out. You can either pop the snails and put them in the rubbish or pop them and put them back in the tank. My fish eat them :)

Thanks! Im gonna try the zucchini tonight. I'll put 1 on each side. Hope that works. =)

Nothing clinged on the zucchini. I guess they're still very small. But their numbers are increasing. Are there any other way to control them? Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom