Cloudy water..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monkeylover22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay so I recently got a 30gal tank from a friend. I set it up, added water and the correct dosage of chemicals, etc. afterwards the tank water was crystal clear. Now today the water is foggy and cloudy. Anyone have an answer or able to help me?

How are you cycling your tank? Could be that it's going through bacterial bloom if you seeded your tank with some kind of media.

Um I'm kinda new to having an aquarium. What do you mean by cycling the water. It's cloudy like ur looking underwater in a pool...

Um I'm kinda new to having an aquarium. What do you mean by cycling the water. It's cloudy like ur looking underwater in a pool...

Cycling means setting up necessary bacterial colonies that convert ammonia into nitrites, then into nitrates. As EriksFish315 asked, how are you cycling your tank, are there fish in there now? If so, I suggest you read up on this article. I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Whitish colored cloudiness usually indicates a bacterial bloom which is generally a good thing. Again, if your cycling with fish which I'm assuming your are, follow the instructions on the article.

And forget about adding anymore chemicals to water .... IMO waste of $$$$. If it's a bacterial bloom, it'll eventually clear away on it's own with time, patience and PWC's. The only chemical you add to water is a water conditioner / dechlorinator like Seachem Prime for example.

Back
Top Bottom