Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Cloudy Water

Hi,
I wanted a pet but not one to cuddle with since I'm a commuter and wouldn't have ample time to spend with a dog or cat. I got fish! Love them. Got them about 6 months ago. It hasn't been easy for me. I've experienced ich, snails due to live plants and about 7-11 losses. My new issue makes no sense to me. Recently every time I do a 25% water change my water turns cloudy. I bring a water sample to my fish store and I'm told i don't have enough good bacteria and have to add a chemical to get the proper water conditions back. This clearly is causing a health issue with my fish. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong??? I do the water change about once a month or more if i find the nitrite too high. I also change the water filter with each water change. Please someone tell me their thoughts because I don't want my fish with this stress. I also simply hate not having a clear tank. It's frustrating.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Changing the filter often can cause the tank to go into a mini cycle, most of your good BB is stored in the filter. IMO the cloudiness your seeing in called a bacterial bloom. Water changes will probably not clear the cloudiness as when you remove the free-floating heterotrophic bacteria, the others will reproduce more to compensate. Just wait it out and it will go away. Just keep up with water changes when levels become to high, test your water often, don't change the filter until it's falling apart, oh and of course
~*Welcome to AA*~

Old 08-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you so much. I understand now and will change the water filter only when needed. Why wouldn't the fish store tell me that???? They just keep letting me buy the water stabilizer over and over. I appreciate your time and clear explanation. As advised I will wait it out.
So happy I found this site, joined and getting the answers I need.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine123
Thank you so much. I understand now and will change the water filter only when needed. Why wouldn't the fish store tell me that???? They just keep letting me buy the water stabilizer over and over. I appreciate your time and clear explanation. As advised I will wait it out.
So happy I found this site, joined and getting the answers I need.
I change my water once a week to keep my parameters stable. I know the frustration of having cloudy water, it sucks. Local pet stores don't ever really know about fish keeping they just assume that everyone already knows how to keep fish and give terrible advice (I learned this the hard way). The more research you do the more money you'll save

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cloudy water, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com