Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plasticpaws

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new here. I use to have a 60 g tank with some fancy tail gold fish. They out grew it and im now in a 125 g tank. Ive had the new tank now since Thanksgiving and I cant seem to keep the water clear. I didnt have this problem in the smaller tank. I have 5 large fish and 4 filters, that house two cartrages each. I do partial water changes every 2 weeks. Feed 2 x a day. Im using Seachem...Alkaline Buffer, Safe, Acid Buffer and Neutral Regulator. I also add bacteria every other month along with a little Aquarium Salt. I test my water weekly. And Im good. Ph is 7.2 -7.6. I dont get it. Is it possible its the chemicals? If I'm doing something wrong please advise. I've had the fish now 2 years. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20170521_215355.jpg
    20170521_215355.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 58
Lots of possible issues. GF like harder water.

What is your water (parameters) like out of the tap?
PH right out of the tap and after sitting for 24-48 hours?
GH/KG
TDS

Some solutions to help clarify water is use Purigen, up the number of water changes, feed less amounts at a time and feed smaller meals more often. Get some fast growing plants like whatever the lfs says grows like a "weed" in your area.

Goldies like to eat plants I know and why I recommend the fastest growing ones.

Not change the filter pads. Just rinse them in treated water to make sure you don't kill off beneficial bacteria.

ALSO make sure that the dechlor product you use also treats for chloramines as in hot areas the water companies use this because it is stronger and doesn't break down in sun and heat as quickly as chlorine, which also means it needs a larger dose of a dechlorinator which also treats for chloramines.

Not all dechlor products treat them too. And if they do, often it is a double amount of a normal dose which is required. Just follow the product directions.

You usually wouldn't need neutral regulator and acid and alkaline buffer. Maybe do not really even need any of them?!????

Do you replace the filter pads very often?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom