Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

College student new to aquariums

Hello all, I have recently discovered my first hobby - aquariums! A couple of weeks ago I decided to set up my first aquarium: a saltwater nano in a Fluval Edge 6 gal. Right now it's just got live rock, sand, and a CUC but it's still very interesting to watch.

In the beginning I was confused that my tank wasn't cycling when I had put the LR and sand in. I have a really great (if pricy) LFS nearby and so was able to get fully cured LR from them with ~5 min of transport underwater so that it was basically straight from their tank to mine. It seemed like my tank was "instantly" cycled so I only waited a week to add CUC. No problems so far, but I wonder if other people have had this experience.

Anyway, I've been testing water conditions ever day and have been getting 0 nitrites and <20 nitrates, so if nothing else changes I plan on getting some fish soon. Still deciding which fish to get...

Old 07-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have no experience with saltwater but if you are new to aquariums in general, I don't think starting a nano saltwater tank is the best idea.

Smaller aquariums, with their smaller quantity of water are subject to parameters changing easily. This is regardless of saltwater, fresh, or anywhere in between. They require a pretty decent amount of due diligence on the part of the owner. If you are up to this then go right ahead!

Old 07-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #3

Yes, I have read that smaller aquariums are more difficult to keep, but I am up to that challenge. I actually love checking water parameters and will probably be paying close attention to the tank whenever I have free time during the school year. Also, there's no way I can keep a larger aquarium in a college dorm. Our rooms are just too small and moving a >30 gal ever vacation when the dorms close would put a huge strain on my life and my friends' lives.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.
Thanks! Haha, the way you say it reminds me of AA = alcoholics anonymous. I guess once an aquarist, always an aquarist.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilei

Thanks! Haha, the way you say it reminds me of AA = alcoholics anonymous. I guess once an aquarist, always an aquarist.
This place might as well be named aquarist anonymous

Glad you're up to the task! Unfortunately, beyond warning you of the dangers of small aquariums, I can't much help in saltwater. Look me up of you need anything about fresh though! Good luck.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com