Come by and say, "Hello!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kraevan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All!

I joined this forum because seems to have the best community, and because I recently got back into the aquarium hobby. My first introduction into the hobby was when I was little. My parents had a 55 gallon freshwater tank they kept for several years until we moved in 2000. I just remember having some Elephant Nose Fish and Oscars. Dunno what else we had...

After we moved we set up a saltwater tank in my room. My dad built all the DIY filters, but it was my responsibility to maintain the tank. I kept it going for 2 years before I screwed up and accidentally killed all the fish. I had a Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Clownfish, Sailfin Blenny, Fire Goby, and a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. It was a lot of work for a 11-13 year old, but I really enjoyed the tank. After that we decided to pack up the aquarium hobby (I think my parents didn't want to pay for it anymore).

Fast forward 13 years.

I have a wife of almost five years and an almost two year old. We also just found out my wife is 10 weeks preggo (yay!). My daughter loves animals and loves going to Petco to look at all the fish. One day she kept asking to take a fish home and we decided to get her an aquarium. Well, we decided to get me an aquarium where she picked out all the decorations.

We ended up going with a 6.2 gallon nano aquarium. We decided to go with a small aquarium because we really don't have a lot of space. We have a 10 gallon and the 55 gallon mentioned previously in the garage, but they are really too big for the space we made available. Before anyone throws a fit over a "newbie" getting a nano aquarium, I'm well aware of how volatile a small body of water is. I upgraded the stock filter cartridges to my own custom 3 stage filtration and I am doing a fishless cycle to avoid water changes 3 times per day and risk to the fish I get. My primary objective is to properly stock this tank and not exceed the bioload.

I've been relearning everything and reading up a lot, but I still have a lot of questions. I decided to join a forum because the nearest LFS is 30+ miles away and accurate information from Petco is pretty much nonexistent. I am hoping the community here can help me out with the holes in my research.

Thanks and see you all in the threads!

Welcome to AA and welcome back to aquarium keeping. Glad you found us. It's good that you have someone else in your household that has a budding interest; great learning opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Welcome to the forum :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon shrimp and snail tank

Welcome dude! You're going to like it here. Also great that you know what you're doing! Any idea on what kind of fish you want to do? A betta would be a nice fit.

I have some ideas about what I want, but there really seems to be a ton of choices, even for a nano tank. I've read articles saying that Bettas and shrimp are the only possibilities for a ~5 gallon tank, but I just don't believe that. Bettas are pretty, but I'd rather have more than one occupant in my tank, and I don't know if anybody around here has/can get Betta imbellis.

This is one of the reasons why I joined the forum. The only fish store around here is Petco and advice from them on stocking options is not good advice. So I figured I would come to people who have tons more credentials than the employees of Petco for my questions.

Hello, and welcome. We have a daughter who lives near Mt Home, ID. Well, when she isn't deployed, which she currently is, for the 6th time.
I would think that small tetras like neons or black skirts would do well in that size tank.

You might want to look into nano specimens such as micro rasboras and RCS.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah I'm looking at fish that are 1-2" in length. I'll post a thread about stocking my tank when I can.

Sent from my XT1254 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Welcome to AA!

It's really the "footprint" of a tank that's the most important, the length and the width. Your tank is almost like a 10 fall on for the footprint so if the recommendations say 5 gal they're thinking of a smaller tank...

Back
Top Bottom