Complete noob in over my head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for my vision for the 55... I ideally want a planted tank. Would like a dark substrate, black would be awesome. As for the plants, I don't know what my options are. I have seen tanks with all kinds of things I would love to have. Some kind of tall leafy plants in the back that would move with the motion of a powerhead. Some smaller things in the middle. Would like the stuff (forgive my ignorance) it almost looks like patches of grass in the foreground.
Don't know anything though. Not even sure if maintenance wise, a planted tank of any kind is in my wheelhouse.
That is my ultimate vision though.
The main limiting factors for me are money. I am not a wealthy man so I will be piecing things together as finances permit. I won't even think of adding water to my tank until it is ready, and no fish until the water is ready. I will do this right. Don't take things lightly and am a bit of a perfectionist. It was hard for me to buy a used tank as I knew I would find little wear and tear issues that would bother me.

Putting another Cory in the 1.8 wouldn't be an option either I assume. Too much for the filter to handle?

Putting another Cory in the 1.8 wouldn't be an option either I assume. Too much for the filter to handle?

Def think about upgrading if you think the 55g may take time to set up.

A 1.8g is barely big enough for a Betta. I'm glad you are watching the water parameters. Can you post a pic ??
These are a couple of my C sterbai in my 55g
https://youtu.be/6k7gKA-8Yw0

What species of Cory do you have ? They range in size from 1"-4" as adults. Some like cooler water. A few like very warm water.

Planet Catfish and LiveAquaria are decent resources as well as folks on this site.

I prefer to keep my Corydoras in groups as they are social fish. I try for 6 minimum. My C sterbais Im aiming for 8-10. It's just hard to find them locally.

For Corydoras a 20Long is a good size small tank. They need floor space.

That's awesome. I was thinking about some sort of small schooling fish as part of my future fish family. Those decisions are still a ways off though.
I will post the pic shortly.

IMG_1480396379.396615.jpg
Here is the globe. The Betta is taking a nap on a leaf in the back out of sight.

Poor Cory...no sand, no buddies, and no room to root around.

They can live on rocks, but smooth sand is great.
Not my video, just a good example

https://youtu.be/tPOvOije4vQ

I'd return the Cory till you have a tank that suits its needs better. But that's just my opinion. I'm a bit of a Cory fanatic.

These were a couple of my C habrosus in my 10g
They stay tiny. But 10g is as small as I'd go for habrosus.
Most common species get much larger, so this I mentioned a 20Long for those types.
IMG_1480409415.380116.jpg
https://youtu.be/JrLx1mKDObY

Well I certainly feel like a crap now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't were learning! Sometimes we jump in and don't realize just exactly what were doing.

I know I don't know what I am doing. Everyone I talked to prior to discovering this forum has told me that my little globe with standard gravel and stock filtration was more than adequate to house a Betta and a Cory. Nothing was ever said about sand substrates or needing a group of Corys. This is discouraging. I posted for help with my 55 gal tank setup and am finding that I'm not even able to do right on a 1.8 gal cheesy little, all inclusive fish bowl. The vision I had of the 55 is still there, but my confidence is waning.

I know I don't know what I am doing. Everyone I talked to prior to discovering this forum has told me that my little globe with standard gravel and stock filtration was more than adequate to house a Betta and a Cory. Nothing was ever said about sand substrates or needing a group of Corys. This is discouraging. I posted for help with my 55 gal tank setup and am finding that I'm not even able to do right on a 1.8 gal cheesy little, all inclusive fish bowl. The vision I had of the 55 is still there, but my confidence is waning.

You poor thing. All kinds of different info coming in from many directions and so opposite are the opinions.

Your Betta and Cory can exist in the bowl you have. However, you yourself could also exist in a small 3'x8' closet. But would you be healthy and happy? The people on this forum love their fish and try to establish a natural paradise for them to THRIVE in.

Your betta probably lived in a small cold cup for months and is better off for having the bowl he is in now. But everyone here will advocate closer to 10 gallons. Here is my 8 gallon Biorb and "Red" my betta. He loves his plants and room to roam and explore. IMG_1480427523.821789.jpg

Chin up boss, when i first joined the forum i had a panda Cory, 3 Rasbora, 2 snails, and a stolen sick betta in a 6 gallon tank...with glass pebbles!

Ya gotta be ok with the learning curve, youd be suprised how quick you can improve your knowledge base with a little obsessive imagination and a tank to let it all out in :)

Just a little frustrated. I got the 55 gal thinking the 1.8 was good to go. I slowly started realizing that I have a lot of work ahead before I even get it up and running. Now I'm looking at the 1.8 as a veritable torture chamber and have to revisit getting different accommodations for them.

Wayyy better than a torture chamber Betas live in a cup on a shelf. Your giving it way better conditions than it would've had If some parent with a 4 year old would've bought it who probably would've spilled its oj in the bowl and the parent find it dead two days later after forgetting to feed it the day before only to be flushed. Trust me , id be glad to live in a closet rather than suffocate in a sugary acid bath. Your gonna make a great fish keeper. Your in the right place to make a great start. Im getting a crash course as we speak. You'll get a lot of amazing information . I wish I had a 1.8 tank right now this 120 is gonna be the death of me!! Its not easy but well worth it id imagine.

As for my vision for the 55... I ideally want a planted tank. Would like a dark substrate, black would be awesome. As for the plants, I don't know what my options are. I have seen tanks with all kinds of things I would love to have. Some kind of tall leafy plants in the back that would move with the motion of a powerhead. Some smaller things in the middle. Would like the stuff (forgive my ignorance) it almost looks like patches of grass in the foreground.
Don't know anything though. Not even sure if maintenance wise, a planted tank of any kind is in my wheelhouse.
That is my ultimate vision though.
The main limiting factors for me are money. I am not a wealthy man so I will be piecing things together as finances permit. I won't even think of adding water to my tank until it is ready, and no fish until the water is ready. I will do this right. Don't take things lightly and am a bit of a perfectionist. It was hard for me to buy a used tank as I knew I would find little wear and tear issues that would bother me.

So, funny thinking... planted tanks to me are easier. Plain easier. So if you wanna keep it simple, you could go with a flourite sand for your substrate. It really would probably be the most expensive think outside of filter you need for the tank. I am currently using a seachem black sand but there are many out there. You need about two inches thick, so buy based on volume.

As for plants, ebay is your friend and so are local clubs. I would start out looking at plants called low light. Starting out, you would not believe how much light it requires to move to medium light... its nearly insane and very expensive. However, low light is awesome.

Here are some links to get you started.

5 Easy, Low-Light Aquarium Plants Even I Can't Kill | All Natural Pet Care Blog

https://aquaticarts.com/collections/freshwater-plants

https://buceplant.com/collections/plants

So, don't stress, move forward. Look at some plants and ask your questions as they come.:fish1:

Just a little frustrated. I got the 55 gal thinking the 1.8 was good to go. I slowly started realizing that I have a lot of work ahead before I even get it up and running. Now I'm looking at the 1.8 as a veritable torture chamber and have to revisit getting different accommodations for them.
Well the betta would be fine on its own and the Cory is a matter of stewardship particulars as well, i wouldnt keep a shoal of Cory even if i had just 1-2 just cuz to me they are more utilitarian than anything esthetic.

If you do take the Cory back to the fish store than the guilt is relieved a bit and if you up grade to a 5gal they should be fine also.
On the plus side youve got a nice quarantine tank as well should you ever need it for new/sick fish or plants etc.

So youve actually done yer self a favor by starting small.

So, funny thinking... planted tanks to me are easier. Plain easier. So if you wanna keep it simple, you could go with a flourite sand for your substrate. It really would probably be the most expensive think outside of filter you need for the tank. I am currently using a seachem black sand but there are many out there. You need about two inches thick, so buy based on volume.

As for plants, ebay is your friend and so are local clubs. I would start out looking at plants called low light. Starting out, you would not believe how much light it requires to move to medium light... its nearly insane and very expensive. However, low light is awesome.

Here are some links to get you started.

5 Easy, Low-Light Aquarium Plants Even I Can't Kill | All Natural Pet Care Blog

https://aquaticarts.com/collections/freshwater-plants

https://buceplant.com/collections/plants

So, don't stress, move forward. Look at some plants and ask your questions as they come.:fish1:
Speaking of lighting, if want the most bang for ywr buck in a deeper tank, look at Halide systems and old grow operations will also sell a lot of their stuff on ebay or Craig's list

Halide lights run extremely hot right? So don't you need some sort of cooling system for them.
The tank has a hood, will I be able to upgrade the stock lights while continuing to use the hoods?

They can but they can also be suspended above the tank which is nice.
A hood is also a good option and i opt for glass tops just because i want to heep the Co2 at the waters surface for gas exchange durring the light hours, that way i ise less gas.
When the lights go off i open the top and turn on the bubbler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom