Complete novice..very confused and umm scared!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayney321

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,as you can see from my title,I'm completely new to this. I've owned a 60L biorb fro around 2years now,but recently upgraded to a aquaone,aquastyle 850,that i think holds 165L,approx 36 gallons. When we purchased the tank it was previously used,and the person using it,said they had been using it for about a yr,but moved house so no room for it.They emptied out all of the water and let it dry out..it was in a bad way. Green algae,dried on...such fun... We got it home,and I cleaned every single part with tap water as best I could. It was sparkling. I had to buy new gravel,which i washed thoroughly before putting in tank. I also replaced the filters,the sponge,but kept the used "noodles" as they didn't seem too bad. I've filled it with tap water,got an air stone which is sat just under the gravel. I've bought a few bits n bobs to go in,and washed again under a tap before placing in. I also added what I think you guys call a dechlorinator,aquaone aqauasafe. I filled it up last Saturday,16th feb.
I've been trawling the net,as you do when u have a new project,and maybe I've read too much..but I very confused..
Do I have to buy a test kit..if so which kind..
Do I have to add something to make my tank "cycle" ?
Shall I put some ornaments or gravel rock from my biorb in the new tank?
It's great to read the things that are posted,and you all seem to know what you're talking about... Please help..I'm panicking!! Lol!

A bit about myself,we'll I'm currently off sick,with depression,married with no kids. It's a long and boring story lol..but I'm hoping that this new hobby will pick me up a bit. I love watching the fish in my biorb,but have seen friends tanks,and the fishes characters are completely different. They play,and chase,even bury things and have territories..amazing! Don't ask me what the fish were though lol! I live in the West Country uk,and I'm proper Somerset lol!
Anyways,I'm hoping someone will see this and take pity lol..
I look for ward to ANY reply xxx :thanks::thanks:

Hello, welcome!! Hopefully someone will pop in, say hi and add a link to info about cycling new tanks (I'm on phone app so can't do much to help at the moment) good luck with your new tank, sounds like you've done well so far :)

Welcome to AA! The guide linked above should help answer some of your questions but if you have more just let us know!

Thanks for your replies,I've had a read of all the info you guys left,and it is becoming clearer,thanks!! I'm off out to buy a master test kit and some ammonia...I will be testing the water quality in my biorb later,and seeing if the nitrates/ammonia levels are good/bad. If they are at the 0% level,I will be seeding the new one. I'm quite happy to wait for fish,as I couldn't bare to see them die because of my impatience. Watch this space! Hope your all having a good day/sleep?! Do most of you live in the USA?

Thanks for your replies,I've had a read of all the info you guys left,and it is becoming clearer,thanks!! I'm off out to buy a master test kit and some ammonia...I will be testing the water quality in my biorb later,and seeing if the nitrates/ammonia levels are good/bad. If they are at the 0% level,I will be seeding the new one. I'm quite happy to wait for fish,as I couldn't bare to see them die because of my impatience. Watch this space! Hope your all having a good day/sleep?! Do most of you live in the USA?

That's great! Fishless cycling is much easier too. I'm in the USA. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom