Conrad from wales new to the site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conrad

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, my name is Conrad I'm 32 from llanelli in wales. I've had my tropical tank set up now for about 1 month and so far everything is great.my filter seems to be good as PH and nitrate levels are near perfect. My water temp is about 22 which is ok I believe?? In my tank I have 5 gold neon tetras, 1 leopard Cory (I think) and male and female dwarf gouramis who don't get along well with each other. If anyone can recommend a nice colorful addition to my tank that will be ok to mix with my current community then please let me know as I understand that gouramis are very territorial. Thanks for reading, hope to hear from you soon. Conrad.

First I'd rehome a gourami before one is killed
Second up the cory school to six
Third up the neon school to six
Then you could add a platy or two or maybe another school of six zebra danios or six penguin tetras

emerald76 said:
First I'd rehome a gourami before one is killed
Second up the cory school to six
Third up the neon school to six
Then you could add a platy or two or maybe another school of six zebra danios or six penguin tetras

Sounds like good advice thank you. I purchased all the fish on the advice of the person at the aquatics store so would you say they have given me the incorrect advice? They said I should have 5 tetras, 1 Cory because my tank cycle wasn't finished and a pair of gouramis would be ok as males would kill other males. I have heard that maybe getting another female gourami would take the pressure off the female I already have??

Conrad said:
Sounds like good advice thank you. I purchased all the fish on the advice of the person at the aquatics store so would you say they have given me the incorrect advice? They said I should have 5 tetras, 1 Cory because my tank cycle wasn't finished and a pair of gouramis would be ok as males would kill other males. I have heard that maybe getting another female gourami would take the pressure off the female I already have??

I'd say that the advice is incorrect, yes
Males will kill other males but they will also kill other females so be cautious and rehome one IMO(in my opinion)
I wouldn't add anymore gourami because you need to up both schools and the gourami may kill smaller fish

Ok thanks, I purchased the Cory about 50 miles from where I live so it's unlikely that il be going back there in the near future. Could I buy 5 Adolfo Cory's to school with the leopard I already have or is that something that wouldn't work for my leopard Cory?

Conrad said:
Ok thanks, I purchased the Cory about 50 miles from where I live so it's unlikely that il be going back there in the near future. Could I buy 5 Adolfo Cory's to school with the leopard I already have or is that something that wouldn't work for my leopard Cory?

You need all of one type

Hi Conrad.

Croeso i Aquarium Advice.

From a fellow taffy.

Just wondering what size your tank is as you haven't mentioned it.

The folk on here are fantastic with great advice.

Jon

Thanks for all your kind and helpful advice emerald76, shwmae Jon butt.

Emerald may have some more advice with stock options.

94 litres initially seems like alot but depending on choice of fish it can be limiting due to numbers needed to keep fish happy etc.

I have a 200 litre tank with only a small amount of stock in comparison to some people.

3 Bolivian rams
7 penguin tetras
7 zebra danios
2 golden algae eaters
6 amano shrimp
And a pond snail.

image-419412295.jpg

Jon

Croeso too!!! I'm from swansea do not far from you. Where do u get yr fish from? I find maidenhead in pontarddulais good for stock.
Everyone in here are great and will give you loads of good advice.
Good luck and enjoy!

Okay 94 liters is about 24 gallons
Here are some options-
6- neon tetras or 6 zebra danios
1- male Molly or 1 Bolivian ram
3- male guppies or 2 male platies
1- bristlenose pleco or 6 peppered cories

Some great advice on here, thanks all. I really like the Bolivian and German rams but have been told that because they are cichlids they will not be compatible with my gourami? Is this correct? I'm also very interested in kribensis and a queen arabesque, any advice on these fish?

Maestromad- hello butt, yes I've been to pontarddulais, that's where I had my 5 tetras from. I find leekes in cross hands has a wider selection (also maidenhead aquatics). I tried the Cardiff store and did not find the people working there very helpful as I had to find out for myself what type of Cory I had and they told me to buy a male and female gourami which now I have to get rid of one as the male is trying to kill the female.

Back
Top Bottom