Converting from Salt to Fresh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sportionary

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everybody.....I'm new here, but not new to fish keeping.....However I am in need for some insight and direction. I currently have a 120 gallon salt tank, because of time and life I do not have the time to dedicate like I should to my tank.....I want to try something new and now since my tank is now fishless, I want to convert over to fresh water....I understand that my live rock and sand and euro reef protein skimmer will not be able to be used with a fresh water tank.....I understand that all my equipment aka heaters will need to be cleaned perfectly with no sign of SW on them in order to reuse in the FW tank. I have a couple questions about other pieces of equipment though.

I'm not real sure about what type of Flow and Filtration needed for a FW Tank.....My SW tank has 3 Koralia 3 powerheads....Can those be used in the FW tank or would that be too much or not enough flow? As for filtration my SW tank has the gravity type of u-shaped tubes with the round black cylinder sponge type which hangs on the back of the tank and drops down into the under tank 40 gallon baffled sump....first side of the drip is live rock then flows thru the baffles where the skimmer (which I know cannot be used for FW) is located and the 500 gph return pump.....Can this sump be used? I understand not the live rock......I do have unused bio-balls that I could use, or is this entire setup no good for a FW system......Also one quick question on Lighting.....I have T5 lighting 4 x 48 inch bulbs....too much for fresh?

Thanks for your time!

Back
Top Bottom