Cracked Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cbanner

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone my name is Cyrus I'm currently living in Decatur Illinois. I need some advice please, I've cracked my 250 gallon tank at the bottom while I was applying sand a clump came out and cracked the bottom what a sick feeling lol..So unfortunately there isn't any tank builders near me so plan B do it myself. I mismeasured and ordered a 1/4 inch thick glass instead of 1/2
I was wondering could I and plexiglass to make up the difference . And yes I ordered tempered and my tank sits on a all flat heavy duty bottom stand and I got ASI black silicone. Question is can I add plexiglass to real glass to make up the difference of the 1/4 inch that I misjudged

Welcome and so sorry you had to come because of a disaster issue.

This fix is out of my league tbh. So sorry you had this happen. I have seen repairs from Dustin Dustins fish tanks and also Joey King of DIY youtubers who added and sealed glass to cracked tank glass not sure any were bottoms. Maybe check out those to help make a determination how their fixes could help your 1/4" vs. 1/2 inch glass issue.

Some use plywood marine sealed, for tanks. Good luck and hope you get some useful advice.

Welcome and so sorry you had to come because of a disaster issue.

This fix is out of my league tbh. So sorry you had this happen. I have seen repairs from Dustin Dustins fish tanks and also Joey King of DIY youtubers who added and sealed glass to cracked tank glass not sure any were bottoms. Maybe check out those to help make a determination how their fixes could help your 1/4" vs. 1/2 inch glass issue.

Some use plywood marine sealed, for tanks. Good luck and hope you get some useful advice.
Thank you

sorry

Sorry that happened. Must truly be frustrating. Sometimes things happen for a reason. Maybe it happened to prevent something worse. Make sure your floor is strong enough to hold that weight and the stand is also and everything is level. Who knows maybe the crack was a good luck thing. Preventing a bigger disaster. I personally wouldn't try fixing it. I would be to paranoid. I know you came here for advice and my response might not be of much help. Good luck

IS the bottom totally supported with Styro? If it is the patch is more likely to be sucessful. You can't use acrylic as the silicone doesn't stick to it all that well.You could double up the 1/4" by laminating 2 pieces together to give you 1/2". Another option if the tank sits on styro is to patch both sides. As long as the bottom can't flex, a patch should work. We had a local store that had a 700+ gallon tank that had a crack
ed bottom, and it was repaired with a patch.

Back
Top Bottom