Cycling tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newlyobsessed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a 7.5 gallon tank with a goldfish in it. I found the gold fish a pond home and willing be transferring him this weekend. I would like to cycle the tank and put a beta and some snails in it. Do I need to start over with a new filter? I'm pretty sure I start out with new water because the tank is high in ammonia because of it being too small for a goldfish. I also have an under gravel filter that hasn't been put in yet. Will I need that for the beta?

And is a beta the best fish to put in this tank?

Hello New...

When you cycle a tank using fish, you feed the fish a little every day or two to maintain a steady ammonia source. Have a kit that tests for ammonia and nitrite. Test every day and if you have a positive test for either of these toxic forms of nitrogen, you remove 25 percent of the water and replace that with tap water treated with an aquarium product that removes chlorine and chloramines.

Just test daily and remove and replace the water when needed. In a month or so, you'll have several daily tests with no traces of ammonia or nitrite. The tank is cycled. Then, you just remove and replace most of the water a couple of times a week to keep the fish healthy.

Under gravel filters are outdated, but as long as you don't cover it with anything like gravel or another material, it will work as well as anything. Ideally, if you remove and replace most of the tank water every few days, you won't need a filter at all.

B

Back
Top Bottom