Dechlorinator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeeLee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! Have a question about the dechlorinator - the bottles directions say "add one tsp for every 10 gallons of water." Does that mean for the total gallons of the tank (mine is 30 gal so 3 tsp?) or does it mean per gallon that you are adding/replacing?

Thanks!:blink:

LeeLee said:
Hello! Have a question about the dechlorinator - the bottles directions say "add one tsp for every 10 gallons of water." Does that mean for the total gallons of the tank (mine is 30 gal so 3 tsp?) or does it mean per gallon that you are adding/replacing?

Thanks!:blink:

Per gallon u are adding/replacing! U basically want to dechlorinate the water that came out of Ur tap water!

Dechlorinator Question

Hello Lee...

The easiest and possibly the best way to do a water change on a small tank is to get several five gallon buckets (four or five), from the local hardware store, fill them with regular tap water and let the buckets sit for 24 hours.

The chlorine will be gone and the water will be safe for your tank. No need for chemicals.

Now, if you have larger tanks that's not really an option. Oh, to answer your question, a half a teaspoon for five gallons of tap water (water replacement water) should do the trick if you prefer to spend the money.

B

If you are using a water changing device like a Python, you can add the dechlorinator (we all use Seachem Prime for the most part) directly into the tank based on the total volume of the tank, not just the water you are replacing. Swish it around in the tank real good once the water you are removing has been drained, then you can add the raw tap water directly into the tank. If you are using buckets, follow Huberts advice and dechlorinate each bucket based on the amount of water in it. :)

Eco, would that also apply to Stress Coat? If so my life suddenly became a whole lot easier lol

BBradbury said:
Hello Lee...

The easiest and possibly the best way to do a water change on a small tank is to get several five gallon buckets (four or five), from the local hardware store, fill them with regular tap water and let the buckets sit for 24 hours.

The chlorine will be gone and the water will be safe for your tank. No need for chemicals.

Now, if you have larger tanks that's not really an option. Oh, to answer your question, a half a teaspoon for five gallons of tap water (water replacement water) should do the trick if you prefer to spend the money.

B

This is not true if you have chloramines in your tap water (which most municipalities now use). The chloramines do not evaporate out of the water and must be neutralized by using a water conditioner.

Ickletas said:
Eco, would that also apply to Stress Coat? If so my life suddenly became a whole lot easier lol

I haven't used Stress Coat in years since I discovered Prime, so I can't give you a definitive answer. I'd continue the method you are using for now, and when you run out of the Stress Coat, pick up the Seachem Prime as your dechlorinator. It's also super concentrated (a single capful treats 50 gallons), so it lasts a long time and is a great value.

Thanks for the super quick response :D I think I've only got about 2 or 3 30% changes left in the bottle so I will indeed get Prime once it's run out. Then I can throw away my 5 ml dosing syringe for ever mwahahahaha

Ickletas said:
Thanks for the super quick response :D I think I've only got about 2 or 3 30% changes left in the bottle so I will indeed get Prime once it's run out. Then I can throw away my 5 ml dosing syringe for ever mwahahahaha

Happy to help :). You'll be happy you made the change. The Prime absolutely smells horrendous directly from the bottle (smells like sulfur), but once added to the tank there is no odor.

Oops! One last tip...I leave my filter off for about 5 minutes after adding the water directly to the tank so the Prime has a chance to neutralize the raw tap water before the filter sucks it up into the beneficial bacteria in my media. Probably not necessary...but always better safe than sorry. Just remember to turn the filter back on! :)

I turn the filters off when I do the pwc anyway so I can get the media out and swish it in the discarded tank water but thanks for the tip. You are on fire tonight lol

This is not true if you have chloramines in your tap water (which most municipalities now use). The chloramines do not evaporate out of the water and must be neutralized by using a water conditioner.

Hello eco...

Thanks for the info. I learned something new today. Didn't think there were very many municipalites that added chloramines to the water.

I've heard the activated carbon in tank power filters will filter out the chloramines, but that seems to me like it would take time and could cause problems for the fish.

Anyway,

Thanks!

B

Thanks for all the advice! Have followed everyone's advice (from previous questions as well)...and still killing the little buggers....perhaps I should just give up :eek:

LeeLee said:
Thanks for all the advice! Have followed everyone's advice (from previous questions as well)...and still killing the little buggers....perhaps I should just give up :eek:

How long has the tank been set up? Do you know about cycling?

Back
Top Bottom