Deep sand bed advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catfaceskates

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have just set up my 65 gal sw aquarium I have about 2 inches of Fiji pink live sand. I plan on adding 2 more inches of sand to this to make a dsb. Is this a good idea? Iv heard that the bacteria in the dsb can eliminate all nitrates in the water. Any help/advice on this subject would be of great help.Thanks

Welcome since your in the members introduction section. You may wanna out this in the saltwater section.

I have a bio cube 29 and I have a dsb it's about 4-5 inches.

I have a pistol shrimp and a orange spotted goby, they seem to enjoy it, as they always stir up different areas in the tank.

So is it good or bad? That I can't answer. I did it because I like the look.

I have just set up my 65 gal sw aquarium I have about 2 inches of Fiji pink live sand. I plan on adding 2 more inches of sand to this to make a dsb. Is this a good idea? Iv heard that the bacteria in the dsb can eliminate all nitrates in the water. Any help/advice on this subject would be of great help.Thanks

Dsb's only work if they are setup and maintained properly. Generally they are not that simple. While deep sand beds can aid in denitrification dsb do not process phosphates and actually aragonite sand will bind excess phosphate. This means that overtime your sandbed will become loaded with phosphates unless phosphate levels are kept in constant check through water changes, macro algaes and/or gfo. A heavy bioload may require all three to control phosphates. Water changes alone will not remove decaying material trapped in the sand bed.

This is further compounded by the fact that stirring or disturbing a dsb can have major consequences if not done properly.

Not something i would recommend for new reefers. A lot of variables.

Back
Top Bottom