Disappearing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linyo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I'm new to Aquarium Advice, so here's a little about me and the reason I'm writing. I'm married, have 4 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats and a 55 gallon aquarium. I'm not looking :rolleyes: for advice on my marriage, my kids, or the 4 furry critters that live here . . . but I sure could use some help with my aquarium!:confused:

I have a 55 gal freshwater tank that I set up 4 or 5 years ago starting with 10 or 12 mollies that multiplied into probably 50+ fish over the first couple years. Later into the first year I added 2 (yoyo) loaches, and 3 Chinese algae eaters--two of which died for unknown reasons, after which I added 6 cory cats. I had some parasite that killed a lot of my mollies and, because of the treatment advice of a local pet store, I lost my first 6 cories--which they replaced. :D

Now my fish are just disappearing! I live near a lake, but I'm pretty sure they aren't sneaking out at night . . . ;)

What I have left in my tank as of this evening is 1 loach, 1 algae eater, 3 mollies and 4 cories. A week ago or so I still had all 6 cory cats, now I can only find 4. I cannot find anything at all (no bones or anything else) left of the fish that are disappearing . . . they are just gone . . . vanished . . . poof . . . :cry:

I'd accuse one of the cats, except the tank is covered and there is no where for the de-clawed cats to get access to the water.

I do suspect the algae eater, though, because he(?) seems to chase the other fish around the tank sometimes. Then again, the loach does too. And he has his little hideout in a "hollow tree", which he backs into. A year ago I found the smelly remains of the other loach inside that "tree." I haven't found any other carcuses since, but I'm wondering if the loach is dragging his tank mates in there and . . . :slurp:. . . ?

I just don't know what's going on . . . can anyone give me some ideas where to look :idea: to resolve this problem? I would like to put more fish in the tank, but not if they're going to slip off into a black hole somewhere never to be seen or heard from again.

Thanks in advance.

Linda

Welcome to AA. You might want to post your question in the FW section. More people will see it there.

Hi and Welcome to AA! I'm sure that if you post this in the Fresh Water section you'll get some advice. :bandit:

Thanks for the feedback . . . I clean the filter and haven't found any there yet either. I will post this in the other forum. Thanks again. ~L

Back
Top Bottom