Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Smile disasterous start for default fish owner

I think I need all the help I can get. My grandson recieved a 1 gal tank and a black moor and 2 fan tail goldfish as a present. I thought the tank was too small so i bought a 29 gal tank, 40 gal whisper filter, 40lbs of gravel and a plecostomus.
I set this tank up about 3 weeks ago and unfortunately we lost all 3 goldfish to fungus. I would like to get more freshwater fish and make it safe for the pleco (gus). I bought paper test strips and the readings are horrible (as high as the paper goes except nitrates)
ph-8.4
kh-300
hardness-300
nitrite-10
nitrates-20

How can I fix the water (1st goal)? What kind of fish and how many should I get as Gus is a meany head to goldfish?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this grandma doesnt want to hurt anymore of our fishy friends

Old 03-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA! Sorry for your losses.

I am not super familiar to FW, I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction with some advice. You may get more replies, however, if you posted your questions in a freshwater forum.

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi. I'm pretty new to the hobby too, but I learned alot with my first tank. I'm sure you will get lots more advice soon, but the first thing I would suggest is a 50% water change.
Until your tank is finished cycling, although you might not have to, be prepared to do that daily .
Dump the strips. They are iffy. API tests are far more reliable and will give you a more definitive reading. Test daily while cycling and keep ammonia and nitrites below .25. Sounds like you're almost there if the nitrates are coming along.
Don't add any more fish until the cycle is complete and has been stable for a while. Every fish contributes to the bioload and you have to give the system time to adjust. So stock very slowly.
With regards the fungus. I haven't had to deal with that yet and have no idea how serious your situation is. BUT if you have a pleco in the tank, you must be very careful with meds. They can be very sensitive. There is always pimafix which is safe, but it's effectiveness debatable to the situation. That is something someone more knowledgeable will hopefully help you out with. I also know nothing about adding meds prior to the cycling being finished.
I don't know if this was helpful, I hope your grandson isn't too devastated. Be patient.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

... Oh by the way, what kind of pleco is gus? Once tank is stable, this is a very helpful little site for stocking and compatability...
http://aqadvisor.com/
Old 03-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have been doing a 30% water change every day and gus is a common pleco (found that out on this forum) recommended by pet store to clean up after goldfish. I know now that goldfish and pleco do not mix well. Thank you so much for your help
Old 03-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Welcome to AA! We hope ya enjoy
Old 03-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Look It Up

What kind of pleco? Common Plecos grow very large and will need hundreds of gallons as it matures. Also fish don't eat other fish's waste, so it wouldn't necessarily "clean up" after the goldfish. I'd do water changes to get the levels down. Do you have the pleco yet or no?
Here are some guides that might help:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfi...-11174823.html

librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com