Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Originally Posted by bonibelle View Post
No, saltwater wouldn't work..but as a part of your project, you would teach members of the Senior Center to care for the freshwater tank and the fish. So as you plan the project, considerations might be that the tank be placed a certain distance from a water source so they could possibly use a python to clean out the tank. I imagine that you could do a video or a write a procedure for the care and possibly even offer to check in to see that things are going well. Think about making a connection between the people at the senior center and local fish stores that would be willing to help with tank care..there are endless possibilities, but your mission is to facilitate the connections that make it all work. I think this would be an awesome project..and I know first hand that it would be appreciated even by folks that have forgotten how to enjoy the very basic things in life.
Thanks so much! I really like that idea. I'm going contact the senior center nearby and start making up a plan. Right now I'm thinking a 125-250g tank? Depends on what I can get hands on. As far as fish I was thinking cichlids? I can get a lot of stuff donated and I was thinking about organizing a fundraiser with my troop for cash.

lightupthedarkness30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm excited for you!! Be sure to do the steps in the right order to get your project approved..If you have questions about details, you have a wealth of resources right here on this forum. When you approach the Senior center be ready to answer questions that they may have..like about how difficult it would be to maintain and how much it would weigh when it is full. The more that you know about your project, the better chance that you will have getting it accepted right away! You need to be the expert essentially selling your idea. Research a little about how fish tanks are calming and how they help people relax. It could be a center piece of the center..Keep us posted on your progress..

bonibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Ps. Chichlids are pretty brutal in some cases, and im not sure how the seniors would lile them...angels, discus, tetras, and cories in a planted tank are how i'd plan the most peaceful and relaxing tank possible
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular
I agree, you are looking to make a beautiful tank with community fish. I'll bet you will have folks remembering tanks that they had, if you include some of the old favorites..which are also the easiest ones! There will be pleanty of hard parts to your project..Eagle projects are never as simple or easy as non -scout people think..The fun part will be adding the fish and watching the tank come to life..congratulations on taking this on

bonibelle is offline   Reply With Quote

eagle, ideas, project, scout

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com