Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Eagle Scout Project Ideas??

Hey all,
Recently got into saltwater aquariums and I was wondering if I could incorporate this hobby into an Eagle Project. I've heard great things about you guys and was wondering if you had any ideas on how to do this. Thanks for any and all help and suggestions!
-Jake

Old 04-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hi and welcome

So, are you thinking maybe along the lines of helping sick fish? You could buy sick fish you see and nurse them back to health!

Or, with many fish being taken from the ocean, you could try your hand at breeding fish! You could do clowns, or maybe Bangaii Cardinals. Bangaii's are in particular trouble and arent to hard to breed i think. I could definitly see you getting recognition for this task. Breeding sw fish especially is a daunting task, and you'd be helping out the enviroment as well!

Just my ideas!

Old 04-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

My cuz built a box for his church for spotrts equipment to donate what if you did that with a fish tank or maybe donate it to a hospital?
Old 04-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

I wasn't a scout as a kid. Maybe if you could elaborate on what this project should entail, we would be able to give more specific advice.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm working on my eagle project too! I know landscaping is always a good project, maybe you could find a place that would like to have a koi pond installed.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

i like gboys idea. you could also find a person who has a badly taken care of tank and get the fish back to good health,the ammmonia etc down,etc
Old 04-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #7

@aqua_chem
An eagle project is a project that benefits the community. It can be small and simple or big and elaborate. All it really has to include is service, and a way for me to show leadership. I've known people who do service projects at nature centers, people clear trails, build ample theaters, have fund raisers(toys for toasts/ can foods), the possibilities are pretty much endless. Thanks for the suggestions so far!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Both of my boys are Eagle Scouts. Their projects benefited a conservacy and a community Fair. But if you are looking to do something related to your hobby, one of our scouts built a beautiful pond at a senior community. Another built a pergola at a senior center..but I always thought it would be really cool to set up a large fish tank at our local senior center. My mother had alzheimers and it was very difficult to keep her attention or get her to just relax (TV was not an option, she couldn't concentrate enough to watch).
The 20 gallon that I put at the side of her bed however, was such a blessing. She would lay in bed and watch her fish. I did a lot of water changes because she would forget and feed them too often, but she loved her fish. So I always thought a nice tank at our local senior center could benefit so many people! Good luck
Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonibelle View Post
Both of my boys are Eagle Scouts. Their projects benefited a conservacy and a community Fair. But if you are looking to do something related to your hobby, one of our scouts built a beautiful pond at a senior community. Another built a pergola at a senior center..but I always thought it would be really cool to set up a large fish tank at our local senior center. My mother had alzheimers and it was very difficult to keep her attention or get her to just relax (TV was not an option, she couldn't concentrate enough to watch).
The 20 gallon that I put at the side of her bed however, was such a blessing. She would lay in bed and watch her fish. I did a lot of water changes because she would forget and feed them too often, but she loved her fish. So I always thought a nice tank at our local senior center could benefit so many people! Good luck
@bonibelle
I actually thought about tht one, but the only problem I'm seeing is having someone maintain it. Would it be one of the workers there? And also I think a saltwater tank would be harder to maintain then a freshwater setup, although we all know saltwater setups look cooler, haha
Old 04-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

No, saltwater wouldn't work..but as a part of your project, you would teach members of the Senior Center to care for the freshwater tank and the fish. So as you plan the project, considerations might be that the tank be placed a certain distance from a water source so they could possibly use a python to clean out the tank. I imagine that you could do a video or a write a procedure for the care and possibly even offer to check in to see that things are going well. Think about making a connection between the people at the senior center and local fish stores that would be willing to help with tank care..there are endless possibilities, but your mission is to facilitate the connections that make it all work. I think this would be an awesome project..and I know first hand that it would be appreciated even by folks that have forgotten how to enjoy the very basic things in life.

Tags
eagle, ideas, project, scout

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com