empty 10 gallon aquarium looking for advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry925

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello my name is larry just signed up to this forum today I live in santa cruz ca and just set up a 10. Gallon with just. Aquaclear 20, eheim 50 watt heater and a whisper bubbler, flourecent hood to be coming in the mail any day also has natural aquarium gravel and a rock and a little slab of driftwood I plan on doing a diy aquarium plant in the near future I would like to put a few mollies in here but I have been reading that a 20 gallon would be a lot better for them is there another livebearer that would be ok in a 10 gallon other than guppies. Or would it be ok if I just stick with a small variety of mollie like balloon belly?

Here it is not much to look at but it will become great I hope

ForumRunner_20120707_211411.jpg

ForumRunner_20120707_211411.jpg

Is there a reason on livebearers cause if you want them to breed that tank will be overrun very quickly

No reason eventually I would like to breed them but just want something easy iguess

You can get egg layers that are easy too. Have you considered a betta tank?

I am still trying to decide what my aquarium can handle and what fish can handle the aquarium I'm not going to halfass this thing what ever I decide they will live better then I do lol

With a 10 your really limited to bettas, certain danios, tetras, rasboras, gouramis, platys, and a few others

Its a tie between gouramis or platys I would love the colors of both but also would love the chance to breed different combos of platys as well.

maybe... maybe a pair of dwarf gouramis. if not one gourami w/ shrimps and or snails. I like your set up btw.
a betta would be in a castle in that ten gal.

Thank you. I'm going to tweak it of course. Add a few plants silk or live I'm not sure never had live so I'm kinda nerveous when it comes to live plants.

dont worry. there are easy to keep and maintain plants. three of the most easiest are java fern, java moss, and anubias. the dont require a lot of lights and dont need co2. plants also benifits your tank too

My top came in and added a few rocks and some clay pot caves now some plants and im done then I can acually get some platys

I have a 10 gallon, and I have: 2 neon tetras, 2 x ray tetras, 3 guppies and a small plecostomus. (and don't make the same mistake I did by buying a pleco for a ten gallon)

Hi! I have a 10 gallon tank too, and I have 5 balloon bellies and 2 mickey mouse platys. I really like the balloon bellies, they are really interactive and funny...I've had them give birth before, and honestly it isn't too bad. When it happened to me, I just fishes them out of the gravel and bought a little 2 gallon tank for like $10 to stick them in with a few plants (you'll want to take them out of your main tank, they'll be eaten otherwise) kinda got off track there, but I would definitely recommend balloon belly mollies, they are great!! Have fun with whatever you choose :)

Have you looked into killifish? Their really vivid and colourful, plus they are quite easy to breed

No I havent actually ill see ive seen them but just assumed they were for people who had experience and not for beginers.

Back
Top Bottom