Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

There's a helpful book out there called Simon and schuster's complete guide to freshwater and marine aquarium fishes. It's not just breeding and cichlids though.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:42 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thx mate

Old 12-06-2011, 05:56 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
Ok just remember that they will grow fast. You will need a bigger tank within 6 months.
Thx for all the help
Old 12-06-2011, 06:24 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ya take it from a hit who messed up w south Americans... Green terrors are nasty tankmates.. but very interesting. If u like cichlids go w some Africans and only Africans.w plenty of hiding places. The Oscar would need it tank to himself possibly w another Oscar to be paired. But the tank would be better for Africans and u would enjoy it more I bet... My terror is in a 75 w a jack and they still fight often. Causes headaches. But they are mellowing now that I got a cave that jack can fit in and terror can't. Jack hides all the time... Now my African tank OS far more active and they stay smaller... The ones I chose at least... Overstocking will ruin this hobby for u. It's better to have fewer happy healthy than a mob of dying fish imo.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejeff View Post
Ya take it from a hit who messed up w south Americans... Green terrors are nasty tankmates.. but very interesting. If u like cichlids go w some Africans and only Africans.w plenty of hiding places. The Oscar would need it tank to himself possibly w another Oscar to be paired. But the tank would be better for Africans and u would enjoy it more I bet... My terror is in a 75 w a jack and they still fight often. Causes headaches. But they are mellowing now that I got a cave that jack can fit in and terror can't. Jack hides all the time... Now my African tank OS far more active and they stay smaller... The ones I chose at least... Overstocking will ruin this hobby for u. It's better to have fewer happy healthy than a mob of dying fish imo.
I had African cichlids (Malawi's) and they bulled my Oscars one Oscar almost lost a tail so i now have 2 Parrots in the tank with them and they enjoy each other my tank is now stress free i am going to get a bigger tank as my fish get bigger.

I have seen some vids online where the Green Terrors do get along with the Oscars bt i do not want to risk it ill probebly go for silver dollars then
Old 12-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds good. Ya terrors live up to their.name. and ya tank growth is part of.it it seems...
Old 12-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Chriznat20
This thread is exactly why I could never work at LFS...LOL.. I would be screening everybody's fish purchases based on their tank size and would probably tick off a few people when I refuse to sell!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wish u had when I was in high school and bought a green terror, convict, jack dempsey, common plec, and blood parrot to shove into an uncycled 30 gallon.... Wat a disaster... 6 yrs later I know just how dumb it was. But I do still have that jack and terror... In a 75 now. Plec was rehome to a lady w a 200 gallon... Others were lost to my ignorance...
Old 12-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats how I feel about my 10 gal with African cichlids. It wasnt doing bad but wasn't right.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

I 2nd, 3rd and 4th the comments of the tank is too small for your stock. Oscars grow fast and get huge. I would recommend just getting a large tank now instead of constantly upgrading tank size and having to cycle again and again, its too much unnecessary stress on your fish. If you can't meet the size/space needs you might want to rethink which fish you want to get. Good luck.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com