Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Excited Newbee

Hi everyone,
I have been reading your forums for a while now and finally decided to register as a member. First off I would like to say thank you for this great forum where people can share their advice and love of hobby. Isn't technology great?
So a little about me, I have been sick for a while and after sitting in numerous doctors offices with fish aquariums and realizing how relaxing it is, I decided to take up this hobby. I started off with a 10 gallon...and thanks to reviewing your forum advice, was able to successfully do a fishless cycle. Now I have that tank up and running with a few fish (beta, 4 small white clouds) I am loving this so much, I want more. So I just purchased a 55 gallon tank, stand and set up from someone on craigslist. Being delivered next week. Very excited! The current owner has a one large parrot fish that he is glad will remain in his current aquarium home.
In preparing for my new tank and parrot fish arrival, I would love your advice/suggestions on what other type fish I can get to join the existing large parrot fish once the the tank is set up and re-cycled.
Looking forward to your feedback.

Nanci333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
welcome nanci glad to have you here . theres so many options for a 55 gallon tank. im sure there will be lots of input

bob mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi and nice to meet you!! This forum is great! I swear some of the people on here were born fish keepers! I know what you mean about doctor's offices tanks. At the VA hospital my dad goes to in Chicago they have some beautiful tanks. I think they help keep everyone relaxed and less nervous. I know nothing about the fish you are getting as I still to the little ones but good luck and welcome!

brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello and welcome!
I think the cichlid forum would be the best place to ask about parrots and suitable tankmates. BUT if you discover that the setup it requires is quite different to the kind of aquarium setup you are wanting, don't feel obliged to keep the parrot. You have to be able to enjoy watching your fish and looking at your aquascape, otherwise maintenance becomes a chore instead of a pleasure
Cactuspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thank you to all for the warm welcome. I'm excited to be part of this forum.
I will definitely start in the forum suggested and appreciate your advise in regards to making it the aquarium that I envisioned. Although I love my 10 gallon tank, I took my 10 year old daughter with me and by the time I left the pet store, everything I purchased was pink and purple. Definitely not what I was originally going for! But came out ok in the end. Note to self: don't take children with you to pet store. Me time.
I want to try and keep the fish that is coming with the tank. The current owner had it for 5 years. But if it ends up not being what I envisioned then I will find him a new home.
Thanks again!
Nanci333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com