Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-26-2011, 09:15 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Freak

I plan on getting him a 5 or 10 gal and cycling it and get it ready for him then put him in it and eventually some tank mates like snails or neon tetras...

Old 12-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancersmama79
I plan on getting him a 5 or 10 gal and cycling it and get it ready for him then put him in it and eventually some tank mates like snails or neon tetras...
Sounds good! The 5 gal you can have your Betta and an apple snail and/or shrimp (he may eat them though) and in a 10 you can have other fish like a school of nano fish (ember tetras, harlequin rasboras, etc). neons are debatable in a 10. Some say they need more swimming space some say they are fine. I'm on the fence with that one.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks for the suggestions. Ive heard neon tetras get along well with bettas and ive been looking up about other tankmates as well. as i have anxiety problems with people and stay at home alot with my 3yr old Dancer is a joy to have around. my daughter is also enjoying feeding him and interacting him... Since our dog died last thanksgiving its been lonly and we just cant aford the vet bills and other things having a dog involves...
Old 12-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
thanks for the suggestions. Ive heard neon tetras get along well with bettas and ive been looking up about other tankmates as well. as i have anxiety problems with people and stay at home alot with my 3yr old Dancer is a joy to have around. my daughter is also enjoying feeding him and interacting him... Since our dog died last thanksgiving its been lonly and we just cant aford the vet bills and other things having a dog involves...
I'm sorry to hear about your dog. always hard to loose a pet. Dancer is a lucky little fish! I have a 3yo daughter too and she loves to help out with my fish. It teaches them responsibility and about life.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #95
Aquarium Advice Freak

our dog was a dog my parents got from a shelter when she was 6wks old and she was 9yrs old when she died... we all had gotten attached to her and my daughter asks for her still. now first thing when we get up she wants to check on dancer and we feed him and stay in here for a few minutes
Old 12-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice Freak

How much aquarium gravel would i need for a 10 gallon tank? and are the bubble stones necessary for a tank that size for bettas?
Old 12-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
How much aquarium gravel would i need for a 10 gallon tank? and are the bubble stones necessary for a tank that size for bettas?
I'm not sure on the gravel but I can tell you I used 22 pounds of sand in my 10g and got a good 2 inches coverage. No air stone for bettas. They prefer the waters surface to be still so they can breathe from it.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice Freak

i had read on some sites that u had to have an air stone for bettas to oxygenate the water... thats why i asked...
Old 12-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
i had read on some sites that u had to have an air stone for bettas to oxygenate the water... thats why i asked...
that's why AA is so great!
No need to oxygenate the water with an air stone in nearly every tank. The filter usually provides enough surface agitation to allow oxygen exchange. When a tank is over stocked, it's a goldfish tank, the heat is high during a treatment or the fish are gasping at the surface one is needed. Bettas take oxygen from the surface so too much movement isn't good for them.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice Freak

So far AA is the best site ive found for good sound advice and i appreciate you sharing all your knowledge with me as well as conversation I added a small mini heater to dancers tank to keep his temp more stable and hes been more aggressive today but im sure it takes some adjusting to having something new in there. his fins look even better today

Tags
betta, bettas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hello | Hey all!! »