Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2011, 01:02 AM   #121
Aquarium Advice Freak

I bought a tetra whisper filter for my one gallon tank and im guessing when the carbon is completely black in the cartridge its time to change it?? can anyone tell me the difference between the regular cartridges and the biobag cartridges??? also wondering if anyone can reccomend a quality gravel cleaner for a 10 gal tank??

Old 12-31-2011, 01:28 AM   #122
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm a little confused! Carbon is black to begin with, I don't think you can tell when to change it by looking at it. I think carbon loses its effectiveness after a few weeks, but most people don't change their filters that often. Most people only change them when they start to restrict water flow, or if they fall apart. You can rinse the filter out in used tank water, after you change the tank, and use the same filter for quite some time, like months and months.

I'm sure other people will chime in on how long they use their filters.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:44 AM   #123
Aquarium Advice Freak

when i got the filter u couldnt really see the carbon inside the white part covering the filter... now its completely darkened and ive rinsed it several times in used tank water when ive done water changes the last few days and the water flow coming through it isnt near what it was... its still filtering and there are still bubbles coming up in the filter but it just looks like the filter is completely dark when i first got it, it looked completely white and u could see the stuff on the inside. this seems to have discolored the paper part of the filter...
Old 12-31-2011, 01:53 AM   #124
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisserydoo
I'm a little confused! Carbon is black to begin with, I don't think you can tell when to change it by looking at it. I think carbon loses its effectiveness after a few weeks, but most people don't change their filters that often. Most people only change them when they start to restrict water flow, or if they fall apart. You can rinse the filter out in used tank water, after you change the tank, and use the same filter for quite some time, like months and months.

I'm sure other people will chime in on how long they use their filters.
I agree. Ive had the same pads for 6+ months
Old 12-31-2011, 01:57 AM   #125
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't think I'm familiar with the type of filter you have. I wonder if there's a website for it. I would take the manufacturer's recommendation and double or triple it.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:00 AM   #126
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
There is a bit of misinformation in this thread. Bettas are like every other fish. They need clean water. Weekly water changes are a necessity to remove total dissolved solids and nitrate. The new water dilutes the nitrate and TDS and introduces vital minerals/buffers needed for stable water conditions, fish and plant health. The OPs tank is cycling she NEEDS to do daily water changes to dilute the ammonia and nitrite being built up in the small tank. Without this the Betta will be getting ammonia/nutrite burns to his gills.
I am glad we have people like Mumm.of.two to help weed out the misinformation
Old 12-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #127
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshwaterFishJunkie
Well said...she's great!
Old 01-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #128
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshwaterFishJunkie View Post
shes helped me alot and she has alot of knowledge for beginners

BTW my computer has crashed so im not on much anymore but my lil dancer is doin just fine his fins are growin back and his spots have gone away i think they were just discolored scales The filter situation it just needed to be changed and i did a complete water change and now im doing A water change evry other day and hes doin just fine...
Old 01-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #129
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's great to hear! Good job on taking care of the little guy!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #130
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ive been changing dancers tank evry other day and a complete water change once a week. Today i did his complete water change and he seems to be agitated... hes been swimming very fast up and down from top to bottom of his tank and whipping from one side of the tank to the other and zig zagging almost like when u cant sit still if that makes sense...hes still showing off his fins and at times hes so still it looks like hes just floating there but u can see him still breathing... he was doing that yesterday too... i changed his water today cause i had noticed waste at the bottom and the black filmy stuff in the filter yesterday he was just sitting on the bottom at times then zigzagging really fast
His water temp is 76-78 constant can anyone help???

Tags
betta, bettas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hello | Hey all!! »