Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2012, 01:31 AM   #141
Aquarium Advice Addict

How many gallons is the filter rated for?
Bc you might be able to put it on the new tank and then itll already be cycled and good to go. Youve just gotta temperature match the water

Old 01-11-2012, 01:31 AM   #142
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

All you need to do is dechlorinate the water, being it up to temperature, move the filter media from the 1g into the new 5g filter. That way nearly all the bacteria will be moved to the new tank to process dancers ammonia output. Once the 5g tank is cycled you can do weekly 50% water changes or twice weekly 25% if you prefer. I think it's safe to discontinue the salt treatment now.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:43 AM   #143
Aquarium Advice Freak

how can u tell that the tank is fully cycled?? The tank im getting comes with a med filter where for the 1 gal i had a small filter. but i have his plants and his stones and his heater. also was wondering if i will need to do a complete water change at some point in his 5 gal or can i use one of those aquarium gravel cleaners?
Old 01-11-2012, 01:51 AM   #144
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancersmama79
how can u tell that the tank is fully cycled?? The tank im getting comes with a med filter where for the 1 gal i had a small filter. but i have his plants and his stones and his heater. also was wondering if i will need to do a complete water change at some point in his 5 gal or can i use one of those aquarium gravel cleaners?
I've forgotten but do you own a test kit? You will know when the tank is cycled because when you test the tank, for a few days straight, you will get 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and increasing nitrate. Can you take the 'insides' (media) out of the 1g filter and put it into the new filter. If you don't then the new tank will have to cycle and that will be stressful on dancer. No need for 100% water changes because the tank will be larger so the waste won't build up as fast. Plus 100% water changes can be stressful.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:53 AM   #145
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Here is the link for fish in cycling if you need to refresh your memory
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...now/Page2.html
Old 01-11-2012, 01:58 AM   #146
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok thanks for the link... i dont have a water test kit yet... with his original filter u cant transfer whats in there cause the cartridge is too small for the bigger filter...
Old 01-11-2012, 02:01 AM   #147
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancersmama79
ok thanks for the link... i dont have a water test kit yet... with his original filter u cant transfer whats in there cause the cartridge is too small for the bigger filter...
The sooner you can get a test kit the better (but I'm sure you know that) Another option is to run both filters next to each other for a minimum 4 weeks so the 1g filter can 'seed' the new one with bacteria.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:06 AM   #148
Aquarium Advice Freak

as soon as i can im getting the API water test kit was also wondering if i could use my 1 gal tank for apple snails/mystery snails?
Old 01-11-2012, 02:10 AM   #149
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Apple snails can get quite big. So big that they have an ammonia output like a small fish. Because of that they need 2.5g for each snail. A 1g bowl will make a perfect shrimp home though.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:17 AM   #150
Aquarium Advice Freak

like ghost shrimp? what do u need to set up a tank for them and how many can u keep in a one gal?

Tags
betta, bettas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hello | Hey all!! »