Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2012, 02:27 AM   #151
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancersmama79
like ghost shrimp? what do u need to set up a tank for them and how many can u keep in a one gal?
Yes. 2-3 shrimp IMO. You can run the 1g filter on the 5g tank then 2-3 weeks after the tank is cycled you can move the 1g filter back to the 1g tank instantly cycling it and add your shrimp.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:32 AM   #152
Aquarium Advice Freak

im just wanting to put that tank to use since i have it...

Old 01-11-2012, 02:39 AM   #153
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
im just wanting to put that tank to use since i have it...
I totally understand! I will have a spare tank, heater and filter for a quarantine set up but I ALWAYS end up stocking it with fish and having to get another one for QT which then turns in to another stocked tank and so on. It's such an addiction!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #154
Aquarium Advice Freak

when i start cycling the 5gal with both filters and with the plants and stones from dancers previous tank, do i need to add ammonia as well? ive heard several articles mention fishless cycling using ammonia. ive heard its faster and was thinking i could keep him in his current container while cycling the new tank??? ive also read that its not a good thing to replace the filters that often only when its absolutely necessary???
Old 01-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #155
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
when i start cycling the 5gal with both filters and with the plants and stones from dancers previous tank, do i need to add ammonia as well? ive heard several articles mention fishless cycling using ammonia. ive heard its faster and was thinking i could keep him in his current container while cycling the new tank??? ive also read that its not a good thing to replace the filters that often only when its absolutely necessary???
Fishless cycling is no faster than fish in cycling. You absolutely do not want to add ammonia to any tank that contains a fish or invertebrate. Fish give off ammonia.

I would put him in his new tank as soon as you get it. If his old tank hasn't finished cycling by the time you get the new one it doesn't matter. You move the filter and finish the cycle in the new tank. It won't start again from the beginning.

Do not replace filter media until it is literally fall apart. Then you put the new media in next to the old so the new gets bacteria on it.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #156
Aquarium Advice Freak

i should be getting the water test kit the first wk of feb getting his new tank in 2wks... The tank hes in now is the 2 gal container and its not deep enough for the filter so im having to do complete water changes evry few days but he does have his heater and evrything else...
Old 01-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #157
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
i should be getting the water test kit the first wk of feb getting his new tank in 2wks... The tank hes in now is the 2 gal container and its not deep enough for the filter so im having to do complete water changes evry few days but he does have his heater and evrything else...
So has the filter dried out?! How long has it been out? The bacteria need food (ammonia and nitrite), water and oxygen to stay alive.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #158
Aquarium Advice Freak

its been 4 days since i took the filter out... can i run the filter in the empty gal tank and get it going again that way??
Old 01-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #159
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
its been 4 days since i took the filter out... can i run the filter in the empty gal tank and get it going again that way??
No, because there is not ammonia in the tank.
You will need to cycle the new tank from scratch. When you get it put dancer in and he will be the ammonia source. Read the link 'I just learnt about cycling but I already have fish' article. That is what you will have to follow.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #160
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok
thanks

Tags
betta, bettas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hello | Hey all!! »