fairly new to bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
It will cycle eventually. Any sized tank with a filter will.

Yeah but with only one fish it can take a ridiculous amount of time (months) which is why the frequent 100% water changes are necessary.

ashleynicole said:
Yeah but with only one fish it can take a ridiculous amount of time (months) which is why the frequent 100% water changes are necessary.

I understand the 100% PWC are needed to keep the water clean. But with such a small amount if water the ammonia is going build up between water changes causing a bacteria colony to form even with the frequent PWC. It sounds no different to any other fish in cycle IMO.

since i got him at the first of the month ive been doing research on different sites and wasnt aware that i needed to have an already cycled tank ready for him to come home to. ive been doing complete water changes because it is just a one gal tank and i do have an internal filter with a carbon activated cartridge. Im using topfin water conditioner and aquarium salt and he seems to be doing fine. his behavior is normal hes not rubbing his head against anything like the stones in the bottom. His appetite is normal. i plan on buying a 5 gal tank and setting it up at the beginning of Jan and cycling it and getting it ready for him. with my income ill have to get things little by little but thats just the way it is these days. I appreciate evryones input and advice... :) Amy

dancersmama79 said:
since i got him at the first of the month ive been doing research on different sites and wasnt aware that i needed to have an already cycled tank ready for him to come home to. ive been doing complete water changes because it is just a one gal tank and i do have an internal filter with a carbon activated cartridge. Im using topfin water conditioner and aquarium salt and he seems to be doing fine. his behavior is normal hes not rubbing his head against anything like the stones in the bottom. His appetite is normal. i plan on buying a 5 gal tank and setting it up at the beginning of Jan and cycling it and getting it ready for him. with my income ill have to get things little by little but thats just the way it is these days. I appreciate evryones input and advice... :) Amy

There are two way to cycle a tank. Fishless (a lot of members prefer) or fish in (this is what I do and what you are doing now). There is nothing wrong with doing a fish in cycle it just requires a little bit more dedication in the beginning (first 1-3 months) to stop your fish from being exposed to high levels of ammonia and nitrite. Both being very detrimental to your fishes health. This is why a liquid test kit is very important. It will enable you to keep track of how the cycle is progressing and how often to do water changes. If ammonia or nitrite are over 0.25ppm a water change is necessary.

i plan on buying the API test kit for freshwater aquariums. From what ive read with a one gal tank it is best to do complete water changes twice a week so every 3-4 days thats what ive been doing. i did a complete water change yesterday when i noticed the spot on his head and ive done a 50% water change today. He seems to be doing fine... hes even built a bubble nest both days and hes reacting to me and my daughter and eating well and very active as well as resting.

i feed him aqueon betta food pellets and topfin freezedried bloodworms and occasionally a portion of frozen pea thats been microwaved and cooled to room temp. i also feed him twice a day a bit of both

Once a day or every other day would be just fine for feeding him. Most of the time bettas and freeze dried foods don't mix very well, too.

Try soaking some food in a tiny bit of garlic to help with fighting the sickness and keep it away.

Also don't be worried about changes so much once a week would be good. The fish just might be a little stressed. The betta can breath air like humans if water gets to bad or they just feel like it.

Pure garlic. Like liquid. Any lfs should have it. It's natural, that's why I like it and it works.

Samirose said:
Also don't be worried about changes so much once a week would be good. The fish just might be a little stressed. The betta can breath air like humans if water gets to bad or they just feel like it.

It's not when the water gets bad or they feel like it. The way their gills are formed, they can't get enough oxygen, so they breathe from the surface as well to make up for it.
To the op, keep doing your water changes like you were after he gets better, and once a day while he's getting better. Once you have a cycled five gallon you can switch to once a week.

Ok I have a Betta and perfect water but it still likes to breath like that. Over doing water changes makes water quality bad and stresses fish. Every time a fish sees a net or is caught they stress. All honesty I have a 4 gallon baby biorb and since the summer I got it I have done one water change and it was recent. Also when the betta was in the other tank (got fish from boyfriend who I help with saltwater now) still breathed that way and we changed water the way everyone said.

when i do water changes i use the cup i brought him home in to get him in and keep some of his old water as i was instructed to do to keep the good bacteria going.... it gives me an opportunity to view him better and examine him better when i do the water changes and clean evrything in the kitchen. ive had him for nearly a month and so far so good. the white spot on his head seems to be going away and it seems to be something just on his skin not a disease or anything harmful at least for now...

Samirose said:
Ok I have a Betta and perfect water but it still likes to breath like that. Over doing water changes makes water quality bad and stresses fish. Every time a fish sees a net or is caught they stress. All honesty I have a 4 gallon baby biorb and since the summer I got it I have done one water change and it was recent. Also when the betta was in the other tank (got fish from boyfriend who I help with saltwater now) still breathed that way and we changed water the way everyone said.

That's because that's the way bettas breathe... A different water change schedule isn't going to change that. But the op is cycling with the fish in it too, and so needs to do daily water changes, maybe every 2-3 days.
To the op: to be safe since you don't have a test kit, I would actually change water everyday. Not a full water change. Just fifty percent.

Saltwater does not even need changes that much and they have a harder blance to keep. Bettas have gills and don't need to like that...... Choice. This hobby is opinion. The choice is ours about water changes.

Back
Top Bottom