Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-18-2012, 01:00 AM   #201
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern West Virginia
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Sounds like it to me too.
The thing with all fish is that you must adapt your habits to the fish's needs. You can create more stability with more water volume. That doesn't mean that a smaller water volume can't be stable. It's just done differently.
As I said before, the fish will tell you when something is wrong. You just have to listen
Best of luck...
Thanks I know when he was in the 1 gal i was doing daily water changes and i also dont have a test kit to know exactly whats goin on with the ammonia nitrite and nitrate so to be on the safe side ive done more frequent water changes and ive always watched his behavior for signs of changes or sickness and the first thing ive done is change his water and look at him closely. its all a learning experience for me and im learning as i go and taking in all the info on here from different pages not just this one...
__________________

__________________
dancersmama79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #202
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 5,955
Water facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancersmama79 View Post
Thanks I know when he was in the 1 gal i was doing daily water changes and i also dont have a test kit to know exactly whats goin on with the ammonia nitrite and nitrate so to be on the safe side ive done more frequent water changes and ive always watched his behavior for signs of changes or sickness and the first thing ive done is change his water and look at him closely. its all a learning experience for me and im learning as i go and taking in all the info on here from different pages not just this one...
Truth be told, if you're getting an ammonia reading in a 1 gal bowl in only 1 day, you're either feeding too much or have too many fish in it. Ammonia takes a few days to build up to readable levels in most test kits. Changing water daily has it's problems too. If you create too sterile an environment, your fish will become more susceptible to diseases. You need to create a STABLE environment as well as a clean one. Think of yourself without any innoculations as a child. You could live in the cleanest house in the world yet would succumb to any disease you come in contact with. If you have other fish/ snails in other tanks, equipment hygene is a serious issue.
Take a 1 day old water sample to your local pet store and get it tested for ammonia. You'll see what I mean.

Best of luck...
__________________

__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #203
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern West Virginia
Posts: 305
Heres Dancers new 5 gal setup... added the water conditioner and waiting for the water to heat up for him before putting him in...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0703.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	71673   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0704.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	71674  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0705.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	71675  
__________________
dancersmama79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #204
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern West Virginia
Posts: 305
thanks boogety so far he likes his tank the blue gravel i picked out bc his body and the tips of his fins have a bluish color to them but hes mostly red so it brings out his colors. amazing how much more space just a 5 gal gives him... and the one i got was only $25 and it came with a filter and the lighted hood i can see his colors much better with this tank as well...
__________________
dancersmama79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #205
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Boogety48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Memphis,TN
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancersmama79 View Post
thanks boogety so far he likes his tank the blue gravel i picked out bc his body and the tips of his fins have a bluish color to them but hes mostly red so it brings out his colors. amazing how much more space just a 5 gal gives him... and the one i got was only $25 and it came with a filter and the lighted hood i can see his colors much better with this tank as well...
That's a good deal. I got a 20 gal from my brother. It was in his attic when he moved to a new house. The people before him left it there. I just don't have the money to get it up and going yet. It doesn't have any parts or a hood, just the tank and a stand, but it was free so I can't complain.
__________________
We got no troubles, Life is the bubbles, Under the sea
Boogety48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #206
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern West Virginia
Posts: 305
freebies are always good... i have to save through the month to make it and usually after bills i only have a few dollars left... lol im glad i live close to family...
__________________
dancersmama79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #207
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Boogety48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Memphis,TN
Posts: 336
I feed him a few times a day as long as he'll eat what I put in there. I'll try the salt. I'm just afraid of using to much. I'm going to leave him out of the 10 gal from now on. Thank you for helping me out with all this. I'll look at see if I can find the FURAN-2 or the Jungle Fungus Clear. My Walmart doesn't sell a lot of fish stuff but I'll check there and PetSmart.
__________________
We got no troubles, Life is the bubbles, Under the sea
Boogety48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #208
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Boogety48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Memphis,TN
Posts: 336
Sorry. Wasn't trying to take over :P
__________________
We got no troubles, Life is the bubbles, Under the sea
Boogety48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #209
Aquarium Advice Obsessed
 
Mumma.of.two's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunny Queensland, Australia
Posts: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancersmama79
Heres Dancers new 5 gal setup... added the water conditioner and waiting for the water to heat up for him before putting him in...
He'll enjoy his new tank!
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #210
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 5,955
Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogety48 View Post
I feed him a few times a day as long as he'll eat what I put in there. I'll try the salt. I'm just afraid of using to much. I'm going to leave him out of the 10 gal from now on. Thank you for helping me out with all this. I'll look at see if I can find the FURAN-2 or the Jungle Fungus Clear. My Walmart doesn't sell a lot of fish stuff but I'll check there and PetSmart.
The best preventative/ maintenance salt recipe is 1/2 teaspoon per 1 gal of water. Been that way for over 40 years that I've used it We use higher doses for certain other problems.
Best of luck
__________________

__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
betta, bettas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hello | Hey all!! »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two Sick Betta's from Community Tank!! HELP PLZ! Laura.elizabeth Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 6 12-07-2011 05:13 PM
Tell People The Truth About Bettas bruinsbro1997 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 73 11-19-2011 02:54 PM
Tips on breeding bettas Bettacrazy Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 10-27-2011 01:45 AM
rescued 2 female betta's today, should I consider rehoming the cherry barbs? ashleynicole Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 13 09-25-2011 05:31 PM
breeding betta's Bettacrazy Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 5 09-24-2011 06:42 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.