Originally Posted by dancersmama79
I know when he was in the 1 gal
i was doing daily water changes and i also dont have a test kit to know exactly whats goin on with the ammonia nitrite and nitrate so to be on the safe side ive done more frequent water changes and ive always watched his behavior for signs of changes or sickness and the first thing ive done is change his water and look at him closely. its all a learning experience for me and im learning as i go and taking in all the info on here from different pages not just this one...
Truth be told, if you're getting an ammonia reading in a 1 gal
bowl in only 1 day, you're either feeding too much or have too many fish in it. Ammonia takes a few days to build up to readable levels in most test kits. Changing water daily has it's problems too. If you create too sterile an environment, your fish will become more susceptible to diseases. You need to create a STABLE environment as well as a clean one. Think of yourself without any innoculations as a child. You could live in the cleanest house in the world yet would succumb to any disease you come in contact with. If you have other fish/ snails in other tanks, equipment hygene is a serious issue.
Take a 1 day old water sample to your local pet store and get it tested for ammonia. You'll see what I mean.
Best of luck...