Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #231
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Your welcome any time.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #232
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is it normal for bettas to flare their gills alot??? dancer has been doing that the last little bit... before he only did it when he saw his reflection or when i was playing with him... now that hes got room to show off maybe thats what hes doing lol he reminds me of one of those dragon lizards in the desert that run with that fan like thing that flares up around their head lol hes as active as he always has been maybe more so swimming all around from top to bottom and sometimes he swims on the bottom scoping out the gravel and all the room he has... me and my 3 yr old are enjoying this tank as much as he is lol the view is so much better from evry angle

Old 01-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #233
Aquarium Advice Freak

today dancer has been hiding alot and ive had the light on in his tank so i turned it off to see if maybe its too bright for him but hes still going behind the filter and wriggling himself between the glass and the filter... very tight space... then he will stay there just under the surface of the water for a few minutes then he will swim down and stay under the filter for a few minutes then back up.... he wouldnt eat this morning either... i figure hes just getting used to his new tank??hes still surfacing to breathe and swims around some but mostly stays behind the filter and hides right now...
Old 01-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #234
Aquarium Advice Addict

not eating

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancersmama79 View Post
today dancer has been hiding alot and ive had the light on in his tank so i turned it off to see if maybe its too bright for him but hes still going behind the filter and wriggling himself between the glass and the filter... very tight space... then he will stay there just under the surface of the water for a few minutes then he will swim down and stay under the filter for a few minutes then back up.... he wouldnt eat this morning either... i figure hes just getting used to his new tank??hes still surfacing to breathe and swims around some but mostly stays behind the filter and hides right now...
It's never a good sign when a fish doesn't eat. In reading back over the posts, he's been through a lot of changes and may be coming down with something. STABILITY is the key to fish keeping. Temperature
fluctuations and too much handling and change can stress fish out big time. Keep your eyes open fior parasitic infestations (Ick) or bacterial diseases (clamped fins/ fin & tail rot) and treat accordingly.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #235
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager

It's never a good sign when a fish doesn't eat. In reading back over the posts, he's been through a lot of changes and may be coming down with something. STABILITY is the key to fish keeping. Temperature
fluctuations and too much handling and change can stress fish out big time. Keep your eyes open fior parasitic infestations (Ick) or bacterial diseases (clamped fins/ fin & tail rot) and treat accordingly.
I agree, not eating is weird. Have you tried dropping the food right in front of his face?
Old 01-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #236
Aquarium Advice Freak

i drop it right in front of him and most of the time he goes right for it... i tried feeding him again a little while ago and he finally ate... hes swimming around in his tank not staying behind his filter as much... i did a 50% water change about 10am... hes not wanting the bloodworms like normal just the pellets... but at least hes eating... i usually feed him once a day sometimes twice hes not showing any signs of fin rot or sickness and since i dont have a test kit to monitor his water im just having to do water changes to be on the safe side... ill be getting a test kit in a couple weeks when i get some money...at least now hes interacting with me and my daughter.... maybe hes not used to all the space from going from a 1 gal to a 5 gal and a noisy filter that creates a current unlike his other one... i may have to buy a tetra whisper like i had in his other tank... hes not clamping his fins or acting "sick"
Old 01-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #237
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

It sounds like he's just adjusting to the change. As everyone else said, keep an eye on him for signs of stress/sickness. If you think he is hiding from the filter flow you can put a piece of sponge under the outtake to diffuse the current.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #238
Aquarium Advice Freak

theres plenty of room for him to swim around the current its just more than the other one he had and its noisier and makes bubbles at the top of the water....the other one made no current at all and no bubbles it was so gentle... but it wasnt circulating as much water either .... when he is behind the filter he comes right out and to where my daughter is when he sees her
Old 01-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #239
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

I have noticed with my Bettas they like to have a cave or something to hide and rest in. He might be feeling a bit exposed in the larger tank.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #240
Aquarium Advice Freak

i put his plants and his cup he liked to hide in from his other tank in this one....

Tags
betta, bettas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hello | Hey all!! »