Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #241
Aquarium Advice Addict

Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancersmama79 View Post
theres plenty of room for him to swim around the current its just more than the other one he had and its noisier and makes bubbles at the top of the water....the other one made no current at all and no bubbles it was so gentle... but it wasnt circulating as much water either .... when he is behind the filter he comes right out and to where my daughter is when he sees her

Bettas don't like current. It makes them have to work harder to swim with those long fins.
In my Betta system, each fish is in a flow through cup and the system turns on and off multiple times each day just to flush the cups. The rest of the time they enjoy and eat in the peace and quiet.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #242
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

This is one of my tanks. See the sponge? It helps break up the flow from the filter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-447740546.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	72133

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4125041406.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	72134

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #243
Aquarium Advice Freak

so would u put the sponge directly in the flow of the current blocking it? i thought that would block the purpose of the filter?
Old 01-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #244
Aquarium Advice Freak

It probably helps the filter because there is more surface area for bacteria. That would be my guess anyway.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #245
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancersmama79
so would u put the sponge directly in the flow of the current blocking it? i thought that would block the purpose of the filter?
It doesn't prevent water from exiting the filter or slow the flow coming out if it but it breaks up the water coming out of the filter and softens the flow. You can see in the picture the water flows out of the filter unhindered onto the sponge.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #246
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisserydoo
It probably helps the filter because there is more surface area for bacteria. That would be my guess anyway.
Yes that happens too.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #247
Aquarium Advice Freak

okie thank you
Old 01-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #248
Aquarium Advice Freak

had to attach the sponge to the filter with a rubber band to keep it there but its definitely slowed down the current and still filtering.... dancer has been exploring his tank more and coming around more hes still going behind the filter at times but its like hes slowly venturing out... i put a darker cup in the bottom of the tank and ive been playing with him and so has my daughter he likes the attention....
Old 01-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #249
Aquarium Advice Freak

So i think dancer is finally starting to get used to his tank... hes been swimming around and investigating evrything and i gave him a pinch of flakes this morning and he ate right away. he still goes behind his filter occasionally but hes not staying behind it all the time like he was hes staying out in his tank like he was in his smaller one.... putting the sponge on his filter and reducing the current has also helped hes not afraid to swim around it. hes not staying in one area hes all around his tank going evrywhere and hes responding to me and my daughter... he seems more at ease not like hiding from evrything... he slept behind the filter for a bit last night which he used to do in the other tank as well as by his heater and in his plants... i plan on getting some live plants for him and some other things to fill his tank with...

Amy Lynn
dancersmama79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #250
Aquarium Advice Freak

Gills extended

What can cause a bettas gills to be extended and a pale color constantly? hes still breathing and surfacing to breathe but his gills are extended and not going back and forth like normal. they are just staying extended

Amy Lynn
dancersmama79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, bettas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hello | Hey all!! »