Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #251
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gills....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancersmama79 View Post
What can cause a bettas gills to be extended and a pale color constantly? hes still breathing and surfacing to breathe but his gills are extended and not going back and forth like normal. they are just staying extended
Are the gills pale or the gill plate covering the gills pale? A constantly extended gill plate could be signs a parasitic infestation on the gills. Pale gills can be a sign of lack of oxygen. Gill plate issues can just be age or mood related when it comes to color. Gill rake issues could be more serious.
Time to get out the magnifying glass

Old 01-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #252
Aquarium Advice Freak

i read on another site it can be due to toxins in the water and since his tank is cycling i went ahead and did a 50% water change and added aquarium salt... the gill plate covering the gills is what is extended and showing some paleness to them but hes not showing any distress like he cant breathe or anything like that theres no stringiness around his gills or anything and hes swimming like normal... at least he has been since the water change...

Amy Lynn
dancersmama79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #253
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gill plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancersmama79 View Post
i read on another site it can be due to toxins in the water and since his tank is cycling i went ahead and did a 50% water change and added aquarium salt... the gill plate covering the gills is what is extended and showing some paleness to them but hes not showing any distress like he cant breathe or anything like that theres no stringiness around his gills or anything and hes swimming like normal... at least he has been since the water change...
There can be a number of reasons why the gill plates go pale and without physically looking at the fish and water parameters and conditions, my best would only be a guess. However, if you see a marked improvement with a water change, that is probably your answer. Recovery after a water change usually means you had bad water. Just keep your eyes open to changes in the fishes behavior.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #254
Aquarium Advice Freak

since i dont have the API test kit until i get some money in a couple weeks ive been doing part water changes daily. I pay close attention to his behavior and how he looks and how his tank looks and his temp. If i notice something is off i watch it for a few and if it stays the same i do a water change and if it gets better then that must have been the issue. ive read alot about ammonia and nitrites and nitrates and how important it is to use a water conditioner and sometimes aquarium salt. Hes only been in the new tank with the new filter for a few days so im sure things are gonna go up and down at times and not being able to monitor it makes it bad on my part but the best i can do right now is watch for changes and and change his water as necessary...

Amy Lynn
Old 01-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #255
Aquarium Advice Freak

dancers gills

here are pics of his gills... they still look like they are partly open to me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0757.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	72646   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0748.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	72647  

Amy Lynn
Old 01-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #256
Aquarium Advice Freak

got my daughter off to school and checked on dancer and he seems to be staying towards the surface of his water mostly... he ate but his gills almost look "folded out" if that makes sense.... his head and that part of his body are a lighter color than his vibrant red and blue so its hard to tell if its pale cause thats the color....

Amy Lynn

Tags
betta, bettas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hello | Hey all!! »